Engineering Manager: Platform Services at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building the infrastructure and platforms that will improve the resiliency, scaling, and development speed for cloud services.
We are looking for a platform engineering manager with a strong production engineering background for leading a team of engineers tasked with building operationally sustainable solutions for internal DO data and network platforms. Our team’s mission statement is to “provide tools and expertise to solve common operational problems, accelerating and simplifying product development.” As a people manager of the team, you’ll be working with engineers with a variety of data-related technologies, including data stores like MySQL, Kafka, and Redis. You will also work with networking and web operations technologies such as load balancers and API gateways.
This is a 100% people management position with zero expectations on direct technical contribution. This position’s objective is to be an engineering manager who supports the above objectives with strong people leadership skills and solid technical acumen. A strong set of technical background and experience is a large plus to help be an enabler for the engineering team.
This is an opportunity to manage an internal platform team tasked with running the services and systems that will accelerate the development of DigitalOcean’s cloud features. Services will provide highly available, operationally elegant solutions that serve as a foundation for a growing product base and serving a global audience. This is a high-impact role and you’ll be working with a large variety of product engineering teams across the company.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Managing an engineering team of systems and software engineers with production responsibilities supporting the above platform objectives
- Developing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and utilizing these KPIs to measure and report on the success of the team
- Providing career coaching including performance assessment, career development, and continual feedback
- Working closely with product engineering and infrastructure teams to drive adoption of services throughout the company
- Supporting engineers to deliver architectures and services which are resilient and performant
- Prioritizing tooling and automation within the team to reduce operational burdens and honor service level objectives (SLOs)
- Establishing best practices for development, deployment, and operations
- Driving adoption of managed platforms throughout the company
- Review and give input on architectural system designs
- A firm grasp of servant leadership to support six or more amazing engineers on their career journey
- Transparent and constructive communication
- A passion for leading, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Enthusiasm for hiring and growing engineering teams
- Interaction with developers and teams to resolve production issues
- Distinguished track record curating platform solutions that serve the needs of other engineering teams
- Firm grasp of high-availability concepts and resilient engineering patterns
- The capability of thinking critically about failure models, disaster recovery, and business continuity
- You have a passion for folks not repeating themselves (DRY) by way of automation where it makes sense
- Adept in Python, Bash, or other scripting languages. Experience working within a Go codebase.
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools such as Concourse. Experience with configuration management tooling and processes such as Chef & Ansible.
- Experience with platform technologies for data and compute including services such as Kafka, Redis, and Kubernetes
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!