Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Is platform & infrastructure engineering your passion? Do you enjoy building teams and seeing your teammates excel in complex technical and business domain areas? Do you enjoy hands-on coding culture and player-coach style leadership? On the Platform Engineering team at Affirm you will find a unique opportunity to leverage your leadership skills, while continuing to be hands on and responsible for the design and implementation of some of the most innovative software solutions.
Affirm’s Platform team is the backbone of our Engineering team. The team is responsible for building awesome products, frameworks and systems that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, instrumented, secure, correct, consistent, and well tested. Scaling a global infrastructure shared across multiple merchants, vendors and products is hard. Our consistency and security requirements make scaling harder. Hard problems fascinate us and our Platform engineers work with all of our Engineering and Product teams to find simple, consistent, clean and scalable solutions to our business requirements.
What You'll Do
- Manage a team of engineers responsible for building frameworks, systems and tools to enable new Affirm products with business requirements that scale over millions of users, their transactions and secure data.
- Provide technical leadership in building systems for efficient underwriting and fighting fraud.
- Lead by example, care for your team and establish credibility with the quality of your and your team's technical execution.
- Work with multiple tech leads, technical program managers and product managers on security, tools, architecture, planning and delivery of multiple concurrent projects.
- Work with internal teams to build out our fast growing analytics data infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally across the engineering organization as well as with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and growth opportunities to your team members, develop talent, mentor engineers, recruit and represent Affirm’s hiring brand.
What We Look For
- Solid leadership and communication skills.
- Experience in managing diverse engineering teams.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Expert knowledge of a dynamically typed language -- we primarily use Python, but members of our team have backgrounds in a wide range of technologies.
- Solid CS fundamentals and hands on coding skills.
- Extensive experience building and owning large-scale, geographically distributed backend systems.
- Highly skilled at developing and debugging in one or more programming languages.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- You prefer using, enhancing and contributing to open source solutions over building solutions from the ground up.
- Experience with (or want to learn about) operating system internals, file-systems, databases, network, concurrency frameworks.
- Unquenchable thirst for learning new things.
- You obsess about keeping costs low while building your team and products.
- Familiarity with Linux.
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you just read. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, "People Come First" is a core value and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can learn more about our D&I efforts here.
Read Full Job Description