Engineering Manager - Podcaster Mission (Major Scale) at Podcaster Mission at Spotify
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 9:57 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, October 22, 2020
About the Podcaster mission
Spotify is a global community of over 250 million music fans and artists, and now podcasters. It’s always been our mission to make audio more accessible, and create a new and wonderful way for creators and fans to connect with each other.
The Podcaster Mission is the team within Spotify responsible for building tools for podcast creators. We have two platforms that help us do that: Anchor (the biggest podcasting platform in the world, which allows you to create, distribute, monetize, and grow a podcast, all for free) and Spotify for Podcasters (the platform that makes it easy to understand and engage with your listeners on Spotify).
We’ve done a lot already, and we have no plans of slowing down. Come help us build the future of podcasting!
About the Team
Our team’s focus within the Podcaster Mission is on scaling Anchor and Spotify for Podcasters to meet the demands of our growing number of podcast creators, listeners, and software developers within our engineering org. To that end, we are mainly a platform / infrastructure team but we work closely with the feature teams in our mission to ensure roadmaps are aligned and new features are scoped with scalability in mind.
The team currently consists of mid- and senior-level backend engineers and a technical Product Manager. Our roadmap is mainly engineering-driven. We follow standard agile methodologies and value quality, ownership, collaboration, and accountability.
What you'll do
- Run the team focused on scaling the biggest podcasting platform in the world
- Coach and mentor your engineering team in collaborative, lead-by-example fashion, encouraging career and personal growth
- Collaborate with other engineering leaders to define key aspects of the architecture of the company's web, mobile, and backend products
- Embody our engineering philosophy of “anything is possible”
- Actively participate in and manage all phases of development from ideation to post-deployment issue resolution
- Collaborate with the team’s product manager to create and maintain accurate project schedules and milestones, as well as drive tasks to completion
- Work closely with our Mission’s leadership team to develop a software roadmap for future features and improvements
- Collaborate regularly with other team members at all stages of product development and launch
- Ensure your team meets deadlines and launch dates through an effective sprint planning process and daily standups
- Focus on high quality, high-velocity project delivery, maintaining the balance between maximizing business impact and minimizing technical debt
- Actively participate in the hiring process as both an interviewer and decision maker
Who you are
- You have a sense of humor
- You have 8+ years of software engineering experience, and 2+ years managing platform / infrastructure focused engineering teams
- You are passionate about backend engineering - specifically platform / infrastructure related projects
- You get excited about challenging technical problems, and have a love of clean code
- You have a strong foundation in server architecture, performance and optimization, data structures, git, and design patterns
- You have a willingness to interact with and extract learnings from data (ideally by writing SQL)
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with team members across all functions of the company
- You have a persistent/determined work ethic and a willingness to try anything and everything
- You love podcasts, radio, or audio in general
- You are comfortable working within a fast-paced high growth environment
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It's in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.
Read Full Job Description