Engineering Manager, Quality Engineering at Rent the Runway
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:49 a.m. (EST) on Thursday, September 30, 2021
About Us:Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”About the Team:Our Quality Engineering (QE) team is focused on thinking like our users and helping our product engineering teams build features that work well for those users in all the ways they may interact with our systems. We operate as a central QE department to ensure best practices and processes across development teams with QE team members embedded with and working as part of the individual development teams. Working closely as part of the development team during all phases of the process ensures quality early on in the process and gives a sense of joint ownership of the features and quality of deliverables.About the Job:As a Quality Engineering Manager at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading and guiding all parts of our Quality Engineering efforts for all our Consumer development teams responsible for our customer facing tools, technology and applications - people, processes and technology. With a strong technical focus, you will manage a team of Quality Engineers and Analysts while working alongside development teams to understand the functioning, design and architecture of our systems in order to determine what test approaches and frameworks to use to ensure high quality software. Ensuring high quality delivery of Consumer feature development projects while aligning all Consumer QE activities with the overall automation first quality strategy. Engaging with the Central Quality team to shape the future quality vision and build the backlog for current and future quality initiatives.What You’ll Do:
- Be an advocate for quality in all areas of our product development - Processes, tools and people. Ensure quality processes and activities are in place and adhered to. Drive technical projects needed for quality to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced environment
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members. Lead a team of diverse and talented quality software engineers across the Consumer development teams.
- Assist leadership in building out organizational structure across the quality organization - including resource requests, hiring plans, training and career development.
- Ensure Consumer development project delivery, across multiple development teams, at a high level of quality throughout the planning, development and release phases.
- Regular quality progress and status reporting across all projects to various stakeholders.
- Regular engagement with Consumer Product and Engineering management to ensure roadmap planning and resource alignment to facilitate delivery across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design.
- Contribute to projects by being hands-on in all quality activities across the development lifecycle and removing roadblocks. Active hands-on involvement in test planning, test case authoring, reporting and signoff, coordinating testing activities and delivery.
- Embrace and lead an automation first approach to quality activities
- Improve developer and quality processes across the organization and track SDLC metrics. Assess our current Agile/Scrum processes and advise for changes to improve predictability and improve quality, from requirements through to delivery.
- Help put in place tools to improve and assess quality - e.g. code coverage analysis, static analysis tools. This would require knowledge of good software design and advocate with the development teams what coding standards and good practices is needed
- Put in place detailed reporting and dashboards to allow analysis of our testing and test results. Enhanced reporting to identify problem areas in our applications.
- Work with the site performance teams to ensure we have non-functional testing (performance, load, reliability) in place and use this data as part of our day-to-day assessment of quality and include it in our production release processes.
- Be involved in the production defect retrospective process to determine gaps in our testing strategy and approach and implement the necessary changes to ensure we cover these off. Be knowledgeable on the overall system to advise on testing, architecture, operational or configuration changes needed to prevent future problems.
- Lead prioritization efforts and provide mentorship to others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work and experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team
- An Agile/Scrum development leader with a strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools and processes
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, Java microservices, algorithms, and relational/NoSQL databases.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and containerization tools such as Jenkins, GitHub Actions, and cloud technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Read Full Job Description