Technology is at our core here at Betterment. Site Reliability is a trusted partner throughout the organization, constantly working to keep everything running smoothly. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving reliability and performance of our systems, and enabling monitoring and visibility into our services. This helps us move faster and smarter within a highly regulated and secure environment. We leverage a number of technologies to power our tools and platform, including AWS, Docker, Kubernetes (EKS), Helm, Terraform, Datadog, CircleCI, and write our code in Ruby on Rails, Python, Go, and Bash, just to name a few. As the Engineering Manager for the Site Reliability Engineering team, you'll help deliver new tools and systems that make engineering more impactful as well as maintain and improve current systems, all while helping mentor and grow a team of amazing engineers.
This role is remote eligible. We are hiring in all states except CO.A Day in the Life:
- Guide and support your team, providing mentorship, coaching, and regular feedback
- Identify and provide team members with growth opportunities that align with their career goals
- Iterate on regular process meetings that help maintain strong communication among the team
- Ensure on-time delivery of solutions without sacrificing sustainability, avoiding technical debt
- Partner with stakeholders to help develop and continuously refine the long and short-term roadmap
- Improve our software delivery pipeline in a way that makes it expedient and encourages a culture of high code quality
- Weigh in on design documents and perform code review, providing valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to our applications and configuration management software
- Participate in on call cycles
- Work with people who care. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
- Passion for growing and developing engineers, helping them level up in their careers
- A track record of fostering collaboration, inclusion, and safety among the team
- Ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality or team dynamics
- A focus on growing your own skills in leadership and management with the ability to be hands-on as needed
- Comfortability helping maintain a technical roadmap while balancing novel asks from engineering, security, and other stakeholders against improvements to the existing platform
- Experience building reliable, scalable, and secure cloud native solutions - we use AWS
- Extensive knowledge and experience building CI/CD pipelines with a developer first mindset
- A deep understanding of software development best practices
- Experience with automation, infrastructure as code, and configuration management
- Familiarity with container-based applications
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote