Engineering Manager, Video Analytics
Vimeo's platform has robust analytics tools that can tell video creators where people are from, where they click, and even track where in a video someone stopped watching- giving insight into creating engaging content in the future.
As a Data Engineer Manager on the Video Analytics team, you'll use your background to create tools for our real time video analytics and logging infrastructure. You’ll work alongside our API and application engineering teams in the implementation, maintenance, and evolution of newer data-rich stats products for Vimeo users.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a hands-on manager for a product-oriented team of 2-3 engineers.
- The role includes engineering, statistics, project management, architectural design and people management.
- Drive technical and architectural planning.
- Work with product managers to come up with requirements for new stats features.
- Define accurate and performant database schemas; Build the SQL queries and caching strategy to interface with the real-time video analytics back-end.
- Build trust between the various teams and stakeholders while impacting business goals.
- Maintain and improve the stats infrastructure through configuration optimizations, monitoring dashboards, health checks, alerting, and remediation automation.
- Propose ideas and test new solutions to improve the quality and performance of the system.
Skills & knowledge you should possess:
- Expertise in Java and at least one other backend programming language (Go, C++, Python, etc.); ability to pick up new programming languages as needed
- Experience with large clustered data stores such as HBase, Cassandra, CockroachDB, CouchDB, Redis and more
- Proficiency in data modeling techniques and SQL programming
- Some experience with serialization and building RPC Services (Avro, Thrift, Msgpack, Protocol Buffers)
- Familiarity with concurrent programming techniques and multithreaded architectures,
- Familiarity with the Linux environment and shell scripting
- Solid CS background: algorithms and data structures, application of complexity theory, ability to formulate tradeoffs based on the problem you’re trying to solve
- MS degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Bonus Points (Nice Skills to Have, but Not Needed) :
- Experience with Kafka, Spark, Flink, Spanner, BigTable
- Front-end experience using React / PHP
- Experience in real time analytics (*Huge Plus!)
At Vimeo, our mission is to empower video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 90 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform, providing powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible.
We work hard to enable creators of all kinds to succeed, and to that end, we prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We’re committed to building a company and a community where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
Vimeo is based in New York City, with additional offices in Europe and India. Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com