Engineering Manager, Video Playback
The Vimeo player is built to showcase the amazing content that our world-wide community of creators is making every day. If you’re passionate around the latest video technologies, have a strong eye for product design, and are a creative thinker who can inform engineering best practices, consider joining our team. Our obsessive attention to detail in our player is apparent down to the border radius, and our player's iconic minimal aesthetic makes it special enough to spot a mile away. If you're dying to build the next viewing experiences (UHD, HDR, 360, VR, etc.) and take part in leading an engineering team that's second to none, we're dying to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Manage the playback engineering team’s day-to-day operations
- Work closely with video product and video platform leadership to define, execute and deploy playback features and improvements
- Implement and improve creator tooling and playback features making the Vimeo player “smarter” and improving the user experience
- Refactor the UI rendering and data layer with the latest available technologies to improve cross-platform support
- Continue to improve playback quality in all types of playback circumstances across the globe
- Improve the performance, usability and overall experience of Vimeo’s video player by writing clean and reusable code using the latest HTML5 video streaming technologies
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 3+ years leading engineering teams at scale
- Development experience within a dynamic web environment (Python, PHP, Node.JS, etc.)
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) experience
- Knowledge or experience working with DASH or HLS video delivery and playback
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field
At Vimeo, our mission is to empower video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 90 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform, providing powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible.
We work hard to enable creators of all kinds to succeed, and to that end, we prioritize attracting diverse talent and cultivating an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We’re committed to building a company and a community where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day.
Vimeo is based in New York City, with additional offices in Europe and India. Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.