Who we are:
We are Dataminr; we transform vast social media feeds into real-time, actionable alerts. Our clients are the first to know about high-impact events and critical breaking information, enabling them to act faster and stay one step ahead.
Our groundbreaking technology detects, classifies, and determines the significance of public information. We have revolutionized the way relevant information reaches the right people in corporate security, news, the public sector, and finance.
Along the way, we've been referred to as the “super tool of journalists and hedge funds” while also receiving numerous awards and accolades from our clients, including being recognized by CNBC as one of the world’s 50 most disruptive private technology companies in 2016 and being named to the definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world by Forbes in 2017.
Based in NYC, a career at Dataminr offers the ability to make an individual impact at a rapidly growing tech startup while being supported by the experience of a company founded in 2009, backed by the world’s leading venture and growth technology investors, and 400 talented employees around the globe.
Who you are:
You love building distributed systems to handle loads of data almost as much as you enjoy building superb engineering teams. You’ve had experience with coaching a team (or teams) of engineers, seeing yourself as a servant leader. You’re passionate about helping people grow while meeting the goals of a rapidly growing company.
You've had experience leading software development in a microservices environment, preferably on the JVM. You balance this with a keen understanding of your customers and work with the Product Team and other engineering teams to deliver great features and infrastructure.
Overall, you’re driven to help your team continually improve itself as well as the software it owns.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll be growing, managing and mentoring a team which uses Java and Scala, SQL and NoSQL data stores, Kafka and Docker to name a few, all running on AWS. We're always keen to use emerging technologies if they can help us achieve our goals.
In this role, you'll need to collaborate closely with other teams in engineering, product and across the organization to develop innovative solutions to new challenges and help your team to deliver superb products in record-breaking time.
In the first month, you'll:
- start off by spending time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works.
- get up to speed on our tech stack and infrastructure with overview sessions and deep dives with your team.
- get an understanding of the services your team owns by contributing code to production systems from the get-go.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- have built deep enough knowledge of your team’s services to help with architectural decisions.
- take responsibility for growing and developing your team (working with recruiting and HR).
- develop the team’s roadmap (working with Product and other teams).
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- be influential in helping plan the next iterations of our architecture as we strive to get more alerts to our clients faster and with near-perfect reliability.
- help to identify bigger opportunities for us to improve our team and technology.
The way we work:
To maintain our momentum, we need a talented, diverse team of people committed to the idea that real-time information can be a force for good in the world.
- We take initiative, ownership, and are accountable.
- We work urgently and thoughtfully and are driven to constantly improve.
- We share knowledge, consider varied perspectives, and assume positive intent.
- We are commercially minded and deliver measurable results.
- We maintain a sense of humor and humility.
Our offering of competitive benefits and perks include:
- Company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, vision, disability and life
- Flexible spending account to be used for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- 401(k) savings plan
- Generous leave
- Daily catered lunch
- A kitchen fully stocked with snacks and beverages
- Discounted Gym Membership
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.