Engineering Manager at NS1
NS1 optimizes delivery of the world’s most critical internet and enterprise applications. Only NS1’s platform is built on a modern API-first architecture that acts on real-time data and grows more powerful in complex environments, transforming DNS, DHCP, and IP Address Management (IPAM) into an intelligent, efficient, and automated system. NS1’s technology drives dramatic gains in IT efficiency and application performance, reliability, and security for the largest global enterprises, including Salesforce, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Nielsen, Pitney Bowes, Squarespace, Pandora and The Guardian. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers in the most mission critical parts of their stack.The Role
NS1 is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our engineering department. The role is based in New York and works with a fast-growing and talented team distributed across three continents.
As a candidate, you have a track record of building effective and creative teams that solve complex problems together. You have a knack for refining processes, and are driven to build something better in each scenario you step into. You have a strong belief in the potential of your team members, and are committed to enabling your team to grow, develop, and challenge themselves in their career at NS1. You give constructive feedback early and often, you enable continuous improvement as you lead, and you have a tendency to coach, mentor, and connect. You strive for quality and reliability in both software and operations, and internalize and translate the needs of customers into your daily activities as you lead your team.
You will be a main intersection point across the business at NS1, facilitating collaboration between engineering and other core teams. You will work closely with engineering leadership to design and enact necessary change as the company evolves.
- Directly manage a subset of the engineering team, with a primary responsibility to manage the growth and performance of your team members.
- Implement and evolve effective engineering practices.
- Work with product and engineering leadership to translate product objectives to delivery strategy. Ensure priorities and expectations are aligned and realistic.
- Identify opportunities for new roles within annual hiring plans. Work with internal recruiting team to attract, interview, hire, and onboard new engineers.
- Build a culture of feedback between teams and peers.
- Nurture an environment on the engineering team that aligns with NS1’s core values and supports a space for technical expertise and excellent engineering.
- Currently managing a team of engineers (experience overseeing other managers or technical leads a plus).
- Demonstrated experience mentoring, growing and promoting individuals on a team, including hiring strategy and practices.
- Current or prior experience as a software engineer who regularly contributed code to a modern distributed system within a mature product organization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated comfort with remote communication culture.
- Meticulously organized, with strong attention to detail and understanding of intricate cross-dependencies.
- Resourceful, creative, pragmatic, and empathetic.
- Experience managing multiple teams.
- Internet infrastructure domain experience, including system administration
- Experience delivering both SaaS and on premise software products.
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS platform that’s deployed on physical hardware
- Anycasted edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API and Client Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Distributed messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Go, Python, Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3
- OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.