Engineering Manager at Teachable
Greater NYC Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 12:13 p.m. (EST) on Monday, May 20, 2019
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to join our rapidly growing engineering team at Teachable. Our engineering team is structured into small pods of four to six engineers, each led by an engineering lead. You will own multiple pods spanning feature, tools, and infrastructure development, supporting your engineering leads and team members and ensuring the successful execution of their projects and operations. As a part of the engineering leadership team you will help determine technical vision and direction as well as establish processes and drive initiatives that result in technical, operational, and cultural improvements across the engineering team.
While you will not be expected to write critical path code, you will be directly managing individual contributors and leads and so will be expected to have a working knowledge of our architecture and have the technical ability to be hands-on when necessary. You are adept at achieving results not through micromanagement, but rather through empowering your teams and helping them to run autonomously. Above all else you are an outstanding people manager who cares deeply about the well-being and growth of your engineers, and have a track record of coaching your team members to success and developing their careers.
This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Manage 2-3 teams of engineers responsible for shipping features, tools, and infrastructure
- Ensure the successful and timely execution of team projects and operations
- Establish and improve engineering team processes
- Sets goals and unblocks teams to drive results
- Mentor direct reports and help them grow and develop their careers
- Work with engineering leadership to help determine engineering team strategy and direction
- Collaborate with partner teams (Product, Customer Ops, Marketing) to provide engineering support
What We’re Looking For
- 8+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years in an engineering management capacity
- Previously managed teams of 5 or more engineers
- Hands-on coding experience developing scalable web applications
- Extensive experience shipping user-facing product, preferably in the consumer space
- Proficient at project management; has track record of making the right tradeoffs to ship projects on time with high quality
- Experience mentoring engineering leads and/or developing individual contributors into engineering leads
- Thrives in ambiguity and can independently make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance
- Relentless drive for continuous improvement and proven ability to instill in their teams
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our thousands of instructors have earned more than $250M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. If you're on the fence about applying, please do! Additionally, Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Read Full Job Description