What You'll Do
- Grow and develop an incredible team of talented and motivated engineers with high expectations around ownership and impact.
- Foster a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies VTS’ values.
- Ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to make an outsized impact.
- Run and continuously improve an agile engineering process that empowers engineers with the context, autonomy, and tools needed to do their best work, and promotes shipping high-quality product efficiently and predictably.
- Jointly own the teams’ execution and delivery of the product roadmap in partnership with the Product Manager
- Partner with product management, design and executive leadership to ensure our engineering organization is well aligned with overall product and company objectives.
- Work with leadership to identify strategic technical investments required to support business objectives, and ensure those projects are properly prioritized and delivered.
- Ensure VTS is well represented in and enriches New York’s engineering community via events, content, open-source contributions, etc.
- Partner with our recruiting team to source, recruit and onboard talent to VTS.
- Coach and mentor individual team members, creating a structured environment and feedback loop that supports career development and high engagement.
- 3+ years management experience with an engineering team
- Strong technical background with experience building, shipping and maintaining web applications and services as a software engineer
- You have strong experience operating in complex tech organizations making use of agile methodologies and tools to build product for users at scale
- Motivated, self-starter with a passion for building and growing teams
- You have a strong track record leading teams, building and fostering collaborative cultures that deliver complex, high quality products
- Provide clear, consistent leadership, management and mentoring for direct reports and the broader technology organization
- Inspire, empower and motivate your teams, leading by example
- You have excellent communication, coaching, mentoring, and teaching skills.
- You have a technical background. You should be able to dive into technical problems and coach, challenge and lead as needed
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative, cross-discipline environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You’ll need to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
About Our Team
- We have a 40+ person engineering team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- Our stack: Ruby on Rails, React, AngularJS, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android, Kafka, Apache Spark
- Learn more about us on our engineering blog
We Take Care of You!
- Competitive compensation packages, including equity
- Great medical, vision, dental, and commuter benefits
- Fantastic location with easy walk to most major subway lines (Bryant Park)
- Generous family policies
- Training and career development programs for everyone
- A company that embraces and celebrates diversity
- 401K plan
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Team lunches, company happy hours, ample snacks and drinks