Engineering Team Lead, Checkouts & Payments
Squarespace is seeking experienced technology leaders to grow our products and the teams that build them. We’re looking for engineers who are hands on and still want to code, but who also want to spend a part (50%) of their time managing and mentoring more junior engineers on the team.
We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a self-motivated server side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! As a team lead, you’d typically be the most senior engineer on a team of 3-5 engineers, and would report to the Product Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
The Checkout and Payments team is responsible for all technology related to allowing Squarespace customers to purchase new products, from building great user experiences, business rules, and back-end payment processing.
- Write server-side code, create robust high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Design and build new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Drive sprint planning, and help ensure clear communication with stakeholders, and foster collaboration with adjacent engineering teams
- Take an active role in developing the skills and coaching individuals on your team, by providing continuous feedback
- Work with vendors to implement new payment gateways and integrations
- Mentor engineers on the team, actively participate in code reviews, and provide higher level technical guidance as necessary
- Ensure the reliability of systems critical to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, pragmatic code)
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Strong Object Oriented development skills and proficiency in Java or another Object Oriented language
- Comfortable working with frontend technologies (React, or similar framework)
- Experience leading teams of 3-5 engineers
- Extensive experience developing large-scale software
- A strong understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable and reliable code
- Strong understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.