Engineering Team Lead - Compute at Datadog
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
We're looking for engineers with strong backgrounds in modern infrastructure technology, cloud environments, and distributed systems.
The Compute team is responsible for infrastructure and services that power Datadog’s infrastructure platform. The team runs Kubernetes-as-a-service and additional platform services, pushing the boundaries of scale and challenging the published limits. They are charged with providing a stable, resilient, available, and scalable platform for the product engineering teams at Datadog, giving us a competitive advantage in engineering velocity and reliability.
As the Datadog product and company grow, the Compute team must continue to provide a stable and scalable platform that allows engineers to ship changes quickly and efficiently. Datadog runs in many regions and on many cloud providers, and the Compute team must ensure that experience is smooth and accessible for product engineers.
Running a reliable infrastructure at scale requires deep knowledge of the internals of the software we rely on. Deep systems experience is an asset to this team, which is often involved in deep dives on unexpected systems behavior. Community engagement and contribution is frequently required.
As the Team Lead for the Compute team, you will guide a team of talented engineers to build and extend the infrastructure platform that powers our products around the world. You will be charged with ensuring the stability, scalability and resiliency of the platform. You’ll take ownership over the platform as a product, ensuring it meets our needs now and in the future. You must demonstrate a strong focus and commitment to meeting the evolving needs of Datadog engineering teams. The decisions you make will have a significant impact Datadog infrastructure, and our customer’s experience with the product.
- Solve a scaling bottleneck in a critical serviceMentor other engineers on your team
- Collaborate with a globally distributed engineering team
- Design a new service and write an architecture RFC
- Collaborate with tooling teams to design abstractions and user interactions with the platform
- Maintain and debug systems while assisting engineering teams who rely on them
- Investigate and fix a production issue from a service your team owns
- Plan the most important projects to work on next
- You have a strong understanding of operating systems and low level Linux internals
- You have experience with systems programming and designing low-level, high-scale systems
- You are familiar with the Cloud Native computing landscape and have worked in this domain
- You have managed or held a leadership role on a team of software engineers
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high-scale, owning significant pieces of infrastructure
- You have worked with Kubernetes and Linux Containers in production at high scale
- You have made contributions to open-source projects or have been involved in relevant communities in the Cloud Native ecosystem
- You are an expert in one or more of our core technologies: Cloud Providers, Networking, Linux, Container Runtimes, Kubernetes, eBPF, etc
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.