Engineering Team Manager - Traffic Infrastructure at Squarespace (Greater NYC Area, NY)
The Traffic Infrastructure team is looking for a technical manager to guide the team through an expansion of the Squarespace edge infrastructure. Squarespace's infrastructure serves requests for the millions of websites hosted on the platform. The Traffic team makes sure those requests arrive at the correct backend safely, securely, and quickly. This includes TLS termination and certificate renewal, application firewalls, response caches (Varnish), CDNs, L7 application load balancing, service to service communication through a Service Mesh based on Envoy Proxy, and Squarespace's external DNS providers.
We firmly believe in the SRE philosophy of applying software engineering methodologies to operational tasks. We communicate with Service Level Objectives and take a data-driven approach to planning to prioritize work with user impact. We operate multiple physical data centers and leverage this fact to our advantage with the ability to control every part of the entire stack. Traffic is a remote-first team with members who work full-time from remote locations and members who frequently work from home. You will report to an Engineering Manager in NYC.
- Build a safe, happy, and healthy environment within the team
- Build quarterly and yearly roadmaps with input from teams that both work with and depend on Traffic infrastructure.
- Write high-quality and performant code that serves millions of websites securely, quickly, and reliably to the public internet and to Squarespace's global customer base.
- Provide regular feedback on technical direct, career growth, areas for improvement, and praise as appropriate.
- Share our on-call rotation and empathize with engineers working on complex problems in real-time across our high-traffic software systems.
- 2+ years of experience leading technical projects to completion, while maintaining a culture of psychological safety on the executing teams.
- 3+ years of experience building large-scale software and distributed systems in *nix environments and with technologies that run the internet such as TLS, HTTP (1/1.1, 2, QUIC/3), TCP,UDP, IP, anycast, multicast, and unicast routing.
- Experience with Envoy, Linux containers, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus. Experience with edge load balancing, Envoy, HAProxy, or other open source load balancers.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.