Freelance Software Engineer at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Justworks is looking for a Contract (perm to hire), Software Engineer to help us build and maintain the growing digital presence of our brand. As the first full time engineer on the Marketing team, this is an exciting opportunity to define the technical direction and culture of our team.
This role collaborates with freelance engineers and internal technical teams to build web and digital experiences and ensure they are performant and reliable, with designers to create experiences our prospects and customers love, and with stakeholders across the company to help their ideas come to life. This role reports to the Experience Design Manager.
If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, interested in building something meaningful, learning new technologies, and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Scope, prioritize, and execute against the website roadmap in collaboration with freelance engineers and the Experience Design managers
- Design and implement solutions to provide value to our prospects and customers as quickly, reliably, and correctly as possible
- Improve the performance, reliability, and scalability of our existing systems
- Write clear documentation to ensure code reliability and ease of maintenance
- Help define and communicate technical standards and best practices to stakeholders and non-technical project members
- Work within and expand upon existing agile and sprint working methods
- Perform other duties as assigned
As a Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Asking questions to clarify scope and accomplishing straightforward tasks independently
- Working with teammates and stakeholders across the company to remove blockers and keep projects on track and within scope
- Performing deep research and discovery (multi-day effort), and follow-up documentation/ presentation
- Assisting in the resolution of incidents when necessary
- Planning and delivering small to medium-scoped projects
- Following up with stakeholders on clarifying requirements and raising concerns promptly
- Understanding use cases and edge cases and conducting tests for them to reduce preventable bugs
- Taking on operational / unplanned work (bugs, tech debt) and contributing to reducing the operational toil
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional hands-on experience
- Experience with full project lifecycle; shipping features and projects from start to finish
- Experience defining system architecture(s) and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs and capabilities
- Experience working with design systems and component-based frontend
- Experience with CMS systems
- Experience working on both frontend and backend development
- Experience supporting other non-technical roles and acting as a “tech lead”
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment