Frontend Engineer at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching over 6-Million active subscribers daily. You can find our Skimm app on iOS, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also have theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team..
theSkimm's Tech team is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who are comfortable building tools throughout the stack. Our mission as an engineering team is to build the connections between theSkimm's editorial team and its growing audience, wherever they are.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will be responsible for maintaining and innovating on our current website and newsletter infrastructure in order to elevate theSkimm’s products to our valued users. Although the platforms for these products may vary, the design patterns and programming principles necessary to build and distribute them are often the same. We're looking for an experienced software engineer to accelerate our development cycles by demonstrating pragmatism, creativity, and a desire to move our organization forward at all costs.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Programming across our Node and React application, and occasionally our Rails applications.
- Exploring emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. email, serverless functions, microsites, etc)
- Building connections between theSkimm's CMS content and the website, often via GraphQL APIs.
- Programming user account and login features that integrate with our backend REST APIs
- Maintaining and iterating on 3rd party web integrations (eg. Cookie Compliance vendor, A/B testing platform, analytics events, Google products like GA, GTM, and GAM)
- Offering suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS and Vercel)
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THESKIMM
- At least 2-3 years professional experience in web development at scale
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, React, Node.js
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, CircleCI, Github Actions)
- Ability to thrive and be resourceful in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation and attention to detail
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience and mission
- Familiarity building systems that leverage hosting and deployment services (eg AWS, Vercel)
- Experience writing unit, integration and end to end tests using modern testing frameworks (eg. Jest, Selenium, Cypress, Puppeteer)
- Experience shipping and maintaining production deployments of React applications
- Experience and comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives. Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimm’rs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news and makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, and the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance and careers to voting, wellness and downtime. theSkimm’s product suite has expanded to include two top-rated podcasts, “Skimm This'' and “Skimm’d From the Couch,” theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money and Press Pause newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, and Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video and audio content. theSkimm’s first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And we’re not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the life’s necessity categories and expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content and audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- and the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.