Based in Berlin
We are looking for a data and technology-oriented software engineer who is passionate about the potential for real-world evidence (RWE) to accelerate progress against cancer. This role will be the second engineering position in a small, agile German office focused on learning from the experiences of every cancer patient. We’re looking for an engineer who is excited to help build scrappy, creative technology in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
Who We Are
Flatiron Health is a leading healthcare technology company with a mission to learn from the experience of every cancer patient. Flatiron was acquired for $1.9B in 2018, making it one of the largest technology exits in the space, and remains an independent subsidiary of the largest oncology drug developer, the Roche Group. Flatiron is building a connected technology platform that enables the development of actionable insights that can help cancer care providers and researchers learn from every patient’s experience. Our 1,000 employees and 1,500 part-time data abstractors represent a diverse group of leaders from across industries, including oncologists and nurses, data scientists, engineers, researchers and many more.
Flatiron Health was founded in the United States but is working to expand its mission globally. Flatiron has prioritized Germany to be our first international market within the European Union, and established a Flatiron GmbH subsidiary in fall 2020. Within the overall company, Flatiron GmbH is a small and growing team focused on transforming the use of healthcare data and improving outcomes of German patients.
What You'll Do
The software engineer will collaborate with other Flatiron employees in the US, Europe and Asia, and will design and develop technology in partnership with the entire German team. This role will work day-to-day with oncologists, clinicians, product leaders, quantitative scientists, and customers to understand their challenges and how technology can help solve them.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Help build a German-based team and company culture as Flatiron GmbH grows
- Devise creative solutions for technical and business challenges
- Rapidly iterate on products while maintaining engineering practices that ensure quality and security
- Promote technical excellence and elegant infrastructure design with teammates and customers
- Work with complex data pipelines using a variety of data processing tools
- Bring or develop a deep knowledge of healthcare in Germany, including data sources, security requirements, and emerging trends
Who You Are
You're an experienced software engineer with a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience. You're excited by the prospect of working on difficult and meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact on cancer patients and society.
- You are excited to work in a startup environment, think creatively and be scrappy to get the job done. You have a nose for value and empathy for your customers.
- You have experience with agile development environments using programming languages (for example, Python, C++, SQL, Java, R) but are also language agnostic and willing to pick up new programming languages as needed.
- You are excited about working in a passionate, fast-paced, technology-driven culture
- You can collaborate and easily explain technical terms to a non-technical, highly sophisticated audience; you have superior communication skills
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and always willing to teach and learn
- You have experience working in healthcare in Germany
- You have studied or worked in Europe or the United States
- You hold a bachelors, masters, and/or Ph.D. in computer science or a related field
- You have experience in infrastructure, devops, or security engineering
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, product teams, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between.
Flatiron is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race or ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.