EquityZen is an early-mid stage financial technology company, backed by leading venture and private equity investors. We’re looking for a Head of Engineering who is driven by leading and building a team of talented engineers at a company with technology in our DNA and is excited to gain exposure to all parts of the venture capital, private equity, and startup ecosystems.
Our platform enables large, private companies to deliver liquidity to their shareholders while providing investors access to invest in these proven, pre-IPO companies. EquityZen has served over 200 pre-IPO technology companies and is proud to be considered a liquidity provider for 1 out of 2 of the largest unicorns. A testament to EquityZen's secure, paperless, and industry-defining online investment platform, we have successfully completed 14,000+ private placement transactions. Focusing on automating an antiquated offline process has allowed us to lead the charge in building more efficient, cost-effective, and transparent private markets. Watch this short video to learn more: equityzen.com/press.
As a member of the Leadership Team, you will:
- Own the firm-wide technical strategy including platform, security, and IT.
- Architect and implement the most secure private placement platform that can scale to trading $1B+.
- Collaborate with the Product Team to define and execute an exciting roadmap, leading your team to drive initiatives to completion rapidly on predictable timelines.
- Ideate and collaborate with executive and functional stakeholders on strategic goals.
- Prototype and implement new product ideas, with initiatives such building workflows and transaction engines.
- Keep technical debt manageable by reinforcing and evolving our engineering culture, which values code reviews, high test coverage, and effective documentation.
- Collaborate with non-engineering teammates to solve difficult practical problems quickly.
- Partner directly with Founders, Leadership Team, and Product Team to set and manage expectations in delivering high quality technology at a fast pace.
- Provide management and leadership for a team of talented engineers by identifying opportunities for improving quality, reliability, throughput and product performance.
- Continue to build a team of talented engineers and retain top talent by continually leveraging their skills and guiding them in their career development.
The right candidate will have:
- 10+ years as individual contributor software engineer / programmer and 3+ years as formal manager of engineers.
- 2+ years experience as member of leadership or executive team
- Technical experience in a highly regulated industry (e.g., fintech, health care, etc)
- Data-driven project management experience.
- Fluency in and experience with SysAdmin/DevOps to Mobile Applications/Front-End and everything in between.
- Understanding of best practices and tradeoffs involved in security and data architecture, including experience in securing company and end-user PII.
- An ownership mindset
- High aptitude, ability and willingness to operate at both high level (strategy & budgeting) as well as low altitude (teaching design patterns and fixing bugs).
- Effective communication skills in distilling complex concepts with non-technical teammates.
- 4-year degree in a CS/CE/EE program.
- 1+ years experience at firm growing 50 to 250 employees
- Founder or early employee of a firm for 2+ years
- Small or heavily resource-constrained business experience
- Fluency in Python, Django, ElasticSearch, React, Golang, machine learning APIs
EquityZen offers a competitive salary, stock options, full employee benefits (health, dental, vision), individual professional development and wellness budget, flexible paid time off, and more!
We are dedicated to prioritizing all employees’ health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have a new, socially-distant friendly office space in NYC’s financial district where we have established strict protocols to protect the health and safety of all employees; however, working from the office is strictly voluntary until further notice.
EquityZen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EquityZen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. EquityZen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of EquityZen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.