Head of Risk and Information Security at Betterment
As our Head of Risk and Information Security, you will own all aspects of Betterment’s risk management program. As someone who is passionate about information security, business continuity, privacy, fraud, and the full range of operational and corporate risks facing Betterment, you will solidify and scale a security-minded culture across the company as we continue to grow and become more complex, through customer growth or product offerings. You’ll lead risk projects, manage critical relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, and drive process improvements in building out and refining our risk management capabilities. As part of this, you’ll write policies, educate the team, assess our security risks and capabilities, and roll up your sleeves and drive remediation where necessary. As our leader in this space, you will help to identify risks, categorize, track progress, and report to our senior management management team and our Board of Directors.A Day in the Life:
- Build strong partnerships with key stakeholders in other functions in the business, including Security Engineering, Legal and Compliance, Operations, and Finance.
- Manage a variety of assurance activities, including responding to customer and business partner due diligence, and an annual SOC audit, and third-party due diligence and ongoing monitoring.
- Approach risk management as a business enabler while managing risk in line with our risk appetite statement.
- Roll up your sleeves and get into the details: ripping up and reframing policies for simplicity and operational wins; defining and aligning our full stack security and governance posture; getting right in the fray with our product development team on tool choice and risk appetite trade offs, etc.
- Serve as a key stakeholder in articulating our practices and plans to regulators, auditors, and other external parties.
- Actively participate in the larger risk management and information security communities: bringing the state of the art back to Betterment to incorporate into our legal, risk management, and product and engineering teams.
We’re seeking someone who has experience:
- Owning and enhancing a risk management framework across a financial services organization
- Helping companies develop risk management and information security processes as they grow in size and complexity
- Designing and implementing information security policies, standards, and process management
- Maintaining oversight of key risks and assist teams to develop mitigation actions
- Driving operational efficiencies by redesigning processes and implementing technical solutions
- Making security and risk management relevant and resonant with individuals not as familiar with the jargon and issues and training the business to be a strong “first line of defense”
- Reporting to senior management and Board of Directors in an effective manner
We’re keen to hire someone who will be excited by solving problems like:
- How can we use our corporate risk management program to drive business value
- Ensuring we have the right policies, engineering capabilities, and operational practices to protect the company, foster safety and resilience in our technology operations, and comply with finance industry standards and regulations
- Maintaining our culture of experimentation, of moving fast and releasing often, and increasing the security and safety of our systems and clients as we grow
- Ensuring risk management processes are relevant and commensurate with the size of Betterment
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health and well-being, and being on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up and cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge and transparent workspace through mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]About Betterment
Betterment is one of the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 500,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.