Narrativ is building the commerce and payments infrastructure for the Creator Economy. We make it simple for creators to earn a full time income selling products from brands they love.
50 million people work in the Creator Economy today, but 95% don’t make enough to pay their monthly rent. Creators feel more pressure than ever to keep adding new revenue streams, from fan subscriptions to tips, and churn out a constant stream of new content just to get by. Narrativ gives creators the opportunity to earn meaningful, reliable income in commerce without needing to have millions of fans.
Narrativ is changing this status quo - our platform gives creators commerce, not affiliate tools, to manage their businesses. Creators who were making less than $25K a year through affiliate are now earning $100K+ through commerce on Narrativ. These creators don’t need millions of followers - the majority of creators earning a full time income on Narrativ have between 50-300K subscribers.
Narrativ has been recognized as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer and one of Fast Company World’s Most Innovative Companies alongside giants like Google, Microsoft, and Slack. Narrativ is committed to building a diverse team in a technology ecosystem that is anything but - the team is 42% women and 60% people of color today.
Do you share our vision for making the creator economy dream real for millions of people? Come join our team!
What You Will Do
- Manage our AWS ecosystem, Kubernetes-based services, and datastores - we run Postgres, MySql, Redis, and Snowflake
- Build reliable systems and services at scale - we operate Kafka, Elasticsearch, Airflow as well as custom microservices
- Build developer tools and automation to help software engineers code, test, monitor, deploy, and manage their services
- Participate in on-call rotation duties
- Build a great experience for people using our infrastructure,
- Reliability, Maintainability, Stability, Security:
- Master the code base, toolchain, and development processes of a product team
- Provide support and work with development teams
- Evangelize best security and operational practices in the engineering organization
- Document the architecture of your work at the block diagram level
- May serve as tech lead (player-coach) of a team
- Understand cost/benefit and risk management for infrastructure components
What You Will Bring to the Role
- A successful candidate will have substantial relevant experience in high-tech software development teams,
- 3+ years of software development experience,
- 2+ years of Linux administration experience,
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code techniques and practices
- Experience with cloud providers and their services
- Ability diagnosing and debugging complex distributed systems
- Understanding of Linux internals, Docker, Kubernetes, networking, storage, and observability standards
- Experience configuring, administering, and operating relational databases
- Dedication to continuing professional development
- Strong communication and organizational skills, motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- A bachelor’s or better degree in computer science or software engineering -or-
- A bachelor’s or better degree in a STEM discipline plus substantial software engineering experience
Narrativ Tech Stack
One of the most frequent questions asked by candidates of Narrativ engineers is, “What is your tech stack?” This is a brief overview of our tech stack.
Narrativ’s systems are implemented as a modern microservices architecture running on Linux servers hosted in AWS. We use Kubernetes to manage our containers, we use Flask to construct our Web interfaces. We build interactivity in our web interfaces using React. We use Linux, and in particular Debian, Ubuntu, and Alpine distros.
We test each language with an appropriate unit testing tool - JUnit, PyTest, ScalaTest, ExUnit, and Jasmine. We use Jenkins to run our builds and tests.
Check-ins against the main branch require a code review by another SWE.
We keep some data in Snowflake, some in Postgres, others in DynamoDB, and some, of course, in MySQL. We build our product graph using Neptune and Gremlin. We are working to reduce the number of databases we rely on.
We stream data around using Kafka, Spark, and Storm. Maybe we will prune this list sometime.
We are not hostile to commercial software - we use AirTable, DataDog, Fivetran, Jira, LaunchDarkly, Looker, Matomo, and StoryBook.
Important Notice: Narrativ will be going fully remote in 2021 and anticipate being a fully remote organization moving forward!
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.