Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help within our NY or SF office:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
About the iOS Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s iOS engineering team, you’ll be responsible for developing new features in our flagship apps Foursquare and Swarm, as well as the core infrastructure that powers both. We’re a small team where everyone gets ownership of large feature areas and exposure to the full iOS stack, from building fun interactive animations to improving the background location technology that powers both apps and allows us to send our users contextual notifications for the places they visit in the real world. We balance a fast-paced release cycle with a passion for quality and performance. You’ll collaborate closely with other iOS engineers to build features and make our code base better, and get hands on mentoring from experienced teammates to help take your iOS game to the next level. We work on cross-functional project teams with product managers, designers, Android engineers, and server engineers. You’ll be involved in planning new features and can have a significant impact on our product design and direction.
The position is available in both our headquarters in New York City and our engineering office in San Francisco.
- 3+ years of proven experience working on a team of iOS engineers building and maintaining apps, or impressive iOS apps that you’ve built personally
- Proficient Objective-C or Swift skill
- Knowledge of UIKit and Cocoa frameworks
- Effective communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Desire to grow and improve engineering skills and iOS knowledge
- Comfort and delight in a small, fast-paced startup environment
- Ideally, you’ve made contributions to one or more apps in the App Store
- Experience with CoreLocation is a plus
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Read Full Job Description