ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability and maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, growth analysts, and designers to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience's experience while balancing frequent iterations and thoughtful source code changes.
We're looking for an iOS engineer to join a collaborative team and build future iterations of theSkimm app, one of the highest grossing apps in the News Category of the App Store.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Work as a part of the iOS team to build, test, and ship regular releases of theSkimm app to the App Store
- Define new components and refine existing ones as theSkimm advances on an aggressive product roadmap
- Lay a strong foundation for future development by writing Swift code every day
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 4+ years of experience
- Experience working with Swift
- Experience working with an existing Objective-C codebase and a sense of pragmatism when it comes to rewriting legacy code in Swift.
- Proficiency with Apple frameworks and tools
- Experience building custom user interfaces using technologies such as Core Animation, Gesture Recognizers, or UIKit Dynamics
- Experience writing Unit Tests with XCTest
- Experience automating tasks with Fastlane & CircleCI (or other CI tool)
- Deep knowledge of App Store review processes and Apple iOS guidelines, especially around interfaces and in-app subscriptions
- Experience as a key member of a team that has shipped at least one app to the App Store.
- Experience collaborating with API Developers, particularly as relates to building API specs and contracts
- Along with smarts and humility, be a team player - serve as a collaborator with Skimm HQ'ers in editorial, design, analytics, and customer service
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience and mission
- Desire to bring theSkimm app up to speed with the latest and greatest in iOS
- A history of working with media and information applications, and the considerations they bring (accessibility, formatting of text, ad measurement considerations, etc)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.