Jr. System Reliability Engineer at IEX Group
IEX is looking for a Junior Systems Reliability Engineer to join our team responsible for building, maintaining and operating our US Equities Exchange.
What You Can Expect to Do:
You’ll work on the team responsible for daily operations and evolution of the IEX systems that comprise our exchange, including both network devices and Linux-based servers. You’ll have opportunities to develop skills in systems theory, network design, distributed systems engineering, automation, and monitoring. You’ll get to work alongside experts and learn all about the inner workings of the US capital markets and equities trading. The role also comes with the knowledge that the work you are doing actually matters, both to the company and to the world at large.
You’ll get hands on experience with customized distributions, kernel patching, building, tuning, and bypass, and a familiarity with low-latency practices and optimizations. You’ll also get to work with a variety of database technologies from relational to time-series as we prefer to use the right tool for the job when storing and analyzing our vast amounts of data.
You’ll get to dive in as deep as you want while working with and on our many private networks on networking topics such as security, routing protocols, multicast networks, low latency concerns, multiple vendor hardware profiles, WAN connectivity, and large-scale interconnect situations.
About the Team:
This team manages bare metal as well as virtualized infrastructure, primarily using Ansible, Rundeck, bash, python, and go to build, deploy, and monitor our stuff.
- Linux experience – You know your way around and are comfortable on a command line. You’ve probably had access to production linux systems before.
- Programming experience – You’ve thrown shell or other scripting language type of scripts together to automate things you don’t need to spend your time on. You use a versioning system, preferably git. Maybe you’ve even written some small applications that do some interesting things: data analysis ( jupyter notebooks are awesome! ), batch or other type of large scale processing, etc… You write tests for your code, or at least attempt to more often than not.
- Automation experience – You at least have used cron and written scripts, maybe even have graduated to something more like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet. You get annoyed at manual processes that can be easily automated and do what you can to prevent yourself from being a human keyboard.
- Networking experience – you know what networking is and why it’s important. You know the different parts of the OSI stack and roughly where to look when you encounter issues with two things that are supposed to be communicating are not. You’ve definitely used tcpdump before to troubleshoot an issue before pinging ( get it? ) a network engineer and saying “it’s the network’. Bonus points for familiarity with DNS, DHCP, ARP and knowing your way around IP addressing, subnets and CIDR.
- Monitoring experience – Any monitoring experience is great. We’re more interested in your thought process and having an approach that is thoughtful about what to monitor and why, along with designing actionable alerts.
- Nice-to-Haves: The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, willing to engage in and be calm during stressful situations, and able to communicate openly and effectively. We’re looking for someone willing to learn as much as possible and take on increasing levels of responsibility while having fun and helping us continue to deliver and operate reliable systems.
Further Reading that Might be Interesting:
- Check out our Github repository
- How Complex Systems Fail
- Drift Info Failure
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace and culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws and protects workers' rights but is vital to IEX’s overall mission and values.