Junior Bioinformatics Software Engineer at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a Junior Bioinformatics Software Engineer to join the Computational Oncology Service in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
Working in a team, the Bioinformatics Software Engineer will develop software to support leading edge, large scale research efforts in computational oncology including genomics, imaging and clinical data analysis and interpretation. Motivated by contributing meaningfully to contemporary progress in cancer research driven by advances in computing and data, we are seeking talented, highly skilled engineers with experience developing robust, enterprise level contemporary software systems. We are recruiting developers in three key areas: data analysis workflows in high performance computing systems (including cloud), database engineering, and data visualization. The Bioinformatics Software Engineer will employ software development best practices in a small team-based setting, contributing to software design, implementation, testing, and documentation.
- Work and collaborate with researchers and software engineers to design, build, and deploy interactive, real-time data visualization dashboards on high volume genomic data using ReactJS and Node.js
- Design and build databases for the data underlying the data visualizations, writing efficient algorithms to index and query the data, and ensuring the integrity of the data
- Establish and maintain continuous integration and continuous deployment workflows of databases and dashboards on premise and cloud-based infrastructures
- Implement and follow best practices in software development, code versioning, software testing and deployment
- Take part in technical discussion including but not limited to code reviews and build/release management
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and at least 1 year of related experience
- Familiarity with databases (SQL or NoSQL)
- Familiarity with git, svn, or another version control system
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.