Junior Software Engineer
RADAR is building technology to completely transform the in-store experience for retail employees and customers alike. Our proprietary hardware and software platform combines RFID, computer vision and machine learning to provide hyper-precise, real-time location of every product and person in physical stores. This unprecedented capability enables retailers to automate in-store inventory management, analytics, and checkout...and this is just the beginning of what we hope to accomplish together.
About the Job
We are excited to expand our engineering team by bringing on a Junior Software Engineer. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work alongside our other engineering team members to share and learn best practices, as well as actively contribute to helping us build the future of retail technology from the ground up.
In your first week you will:
- Work with a member of the engineering team to set up your development environment
- Get a core RADAR system running on your local development environment
- Push your first change to one of our systems
In your first month you will:
- Learn and understand the RADAR architecture
- Understand and fix a bug on a core RADAR system
- Help design and build an administration and debugging tool for a core RADAR system
- Learn from different team members about the various systems and projects they work on
In your first year you will:
- Help build and improve a testing automation framework
- Help build and improve internal tools
- Help build and improve frontend tools used by our customers
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related)
- You have experience working on a linux operating system
- You are proficient in one or more of the following programming languages: Java, C#, C/C++, or Go
- You solve problems with a data focused mindset
- You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with changing priorities
- You have working knowledge of Java, Linux, Python (or some sort of scripting language)
- You are familiar with distributed systems
What We’re Looking For In Teammates
Technology like what we’re building doesn’t happen on its own. It is the result of a collaborative environment and the hard work of passionate, dedicated individuals working intelligently towards a common goal. We are looking for exceptional people to join our growing team and have a positive impact on our culture, technology, and product from day one. We deeply value humility, curiosity, and a positive attitude and you should as well. You should also believe that mutual respect is the foundation of any healthy and productive relationship. You should be unafraid to ask questions or challenge responses no matter how simple or complex. Most importantly, you should value honest and direct communication as you recognize that this is the best way for any individual or team to continuously learn and grow. Accomplishing our collective goals will be fun but it will also be hard; you should be in pursuit of an ongoing and rewarding challenge!
What It’s Like To Work With Us
We’re passionate about the technology we’ve created and what we’re building, but we know that changing any industry and creating a successful company will take balance, maturity, and a sustained effort. We’ve combined retail industry expertise, amazing engineers with experience shipping real-world hardware and software solutions, and a team of brilliant minds who are not afraid to focus on solving “impossible” problems. But this passion doesn’t mean we live unbalanced lives. We have families and passions outside of work, and we know that the best work comes from sharp, rested people. We respect each other and each of our contributions, and we believe that the best solutions will come from a diversity of ideas and perspectives.
Finally, we build our products with deep empathy for the people who will use them every day. Their input and insights are our clearest guide to building what they need; we respect our partners and clients, and listen closely to their feedback.