Junior Software Engineer at The Farmer's Dog
The Farmer’s Dog exists to simplify giving every dog their best life. First up? Completely reimagining what pet food is, how it’s made, and how it’s delivered. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by the early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Our company was launched after our Co-founder, Brett’s, battle to cure the stomach issues of his Rottweiler, Jada. He quickly realized just how broken the commercial pet food industry was - even the “organic” and “natural” varieties proved to be heavily processed - and it was only when his vet recommended a fresh, home-cooked diet that Jada began to improve and was eventually cured. Through a combination of proprietary technology, and a lot of heart, our direct-to-consumer service was born.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Only “dream job” applicants, please. #mustlovedogsWHAT'S THE ROLE?
We’re building a subscription based e-commerce business from the ground up and have plenty of interesting problems to solve. Our aim is to offer a seamless subscription experience through on-time production, customized products and best in class customer support.
How are we different from a regular e-commerce? Each and every one of our customers has a completely unique subscription plan and shipping frequency. Every individual pack of food is produced for a specific dog and has the pet name and date of manufacturing printed straight on the pack. The average time from production to delivery is less than 2 weeks.
Some of the things you could be working on:
- Predictive analysis; making sure we produce the right amount while factoring in account churn, growth rate and current customers
- Minimizing customer support tickets by improving subscription management portal
- Adding a mixing plan option to checkout flow through which a customer could set a price and receive a plan that facilitates supplementing their current food with ours
- Creating a Dockerized microservice that fetches charges from Stripe, generates a monthly tax report, and mails it
- Simplifying the process of modifying an order once it has been billed and supporting partial refunds and billings
- Writing unit tests using Mocha and Nightwatch
Our architecture is based around a NodeJS API that’s hosted on AWS. We have two web applications that interface with it: 1) the consumer facing website that has content pages, checkout flow, and end-user subscription management and 2) the back-office tool that the fulfillment and customer support team uses for reporting, customer management, and advanced subscription options.
Both front-end application use the same boilerplate and are written in Redux and React. Additionally, we have a number of microservices to handle webhooks and long running jobs like generating customized booklets and handling shipment tracking events.
- You should have at least 1 year of experience and a demonstrated ability to build & ship production services. You should feel confident working with NodeJS or Redux.
- We take pride in writing software the right way. That means peer reviews, ample time to refactor code, and write tests.
- Play nicely with others (humans and dogs)
- DOGS EVERYWHERE!
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Discount on TFD food for your pup!
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental and Vision
- Unlimited vacation & sick days
- Flexible work-from-home policy
- Team outings, coffee always brewed fresh, and a strong snack game