Kotlin Backend Engineer
At AlphaSights, we search through more than 500 million professionals working in the world today to find the small handful of experts qualified to answer our clients needs. They use these insights to drive amazing progress within their organizations. Our mission is to provide access to dispersed, hidden, and underutilized knowledge.
We’ve made terrific progress working in this new space, but there is still an incredible amount of work to do. We’ve only just scratched the surface on how we can apply technology to this problem.
AlphaSights' Backend Engineers build features across our ecosystem of products and services, both internal and client facing. As a backend engineer you will remove pain-points, optimise workflows, and enhance the intelligence and capabilities of our systems. You'll work closely with a variety of people in the business to arrive at the best solution, immediately see the impact of your work, and get feedback directly from users.
We are currently evolving our tech stack and have settled on Kotlin for our backend services. We like that Kotlin is expressive, concise, addresses our major gripes with Java, and is able to leverage java’s mature software libraries. We are looking for people who are interested in helping us re-architect and transition our tech stack into Kotlin and help make smart decisions along the way. You should be excited to build software systems to an incredibly high standard, are comfortable working across multiple languages, and learn quickly when new technologies are introduced.
- Build and technically own large areas of our product and service ecosystem
- Diagnose complex issues across various levels of the stack
- Improve the performance of our applications
- Improve developer tooling and processes
- Work in small, nimble teams
- Understand our business context deeply and leverage your engineering knowledge to propose creative solutions to problems
You might be a fit if you:
- Have at least 5 years of professional experience, and have served as tech lead for a specific application, product area, or level of infrastructure
- Are an expert in Java, and have professionally developed in Java for at least 3 years. Experience with Spring Boot, Hibernate, web service development, and ORM frameworks is a plus. Python and Ruby experience would also be a plus.
- Enjoy mentoring other team members, including code reviews and tech talks
- Can balance deep work with cross team collaboration
- Enjoy writing code in a variety of languages
- Constantly learn from and mentor other engineers
- See yourself as an entrepreneur as well as an engineer
- Are interested in working in a team applying data science to solve challenging business problems
Don't worry if your experience or background doesn't match all of these areas, we believe a broad spectrum of experience provides great perspective on solving problems in new and innovative ways and we’d love to [hear from you].
You might work on:
- Re-architecting key pieces of our tech stack in Kotlin
- Build tools to schedule multi-party communication with heavy constraints
- Automate the detection and mitigation of risk in real-time
- Propose and deliver a new product initiative to production
- Democratize data within the organisation
- Optimizing and scaling our overall platform architecture
Who you would work with:
- You would join a dynamic, multinational, and diverse team who enjoy solving interesting problems in a collaborative environment
- We have self-taught engineers as well as graduates from top Computer Science and Engineering schools
- Your co-workers will include motivated recent graduates as well as experienced industry leaders from companies such as Google and Amazon
Find out more: http://engineering.alphasights.com