Cedar is a patient payment and engagement platform that elevates the total patient experience beyond clinical care. The platform leverages data science and great technology to deliver modern intelligence to providers and simplify the healthcare experience for patients.
Cedar is growing rapidly and data is at the core of everything we do. We build analytics for our clients and our teams to inform the product development process. We tell stories about all aspects of the patient journey and use quantitative analyses to explain patient behavior. We run experiments to test our various hypotheses and iterate using our results. We build models to drive better decision-making, both within our organization and for our clients in the healthcare industry.
We are seeking a Lead Data Engineer to join our Engineering team. This individual will initially work closely with our Data Science team, before extending their work , across other business functions to unlock the potential of our data. The Lead Data Engineer will be responsible for architecting, building, testing, and maintaining robust and scalable data pipelines for analytics and machine learning models. They will also be tasked with establishing a data engineering center of excellence within Cedar, ensuring that best practices are socialized and implemented across engineering. As Cedar continues to grow, we expect our data engineering team to grow as well, this role presents a long-term opportunity to grow a data engineering function and team.
- Provide leadership in building optimized data pipelines with scalability, efficiency and reliability as high priority.
- Interface with data scientists, engineers, product managers and business development teams to understand data needs and transform these into usable data products.
- Driving the design and adoption of improved data structures and quality across the organization, initially with particular focus on data science and data analytics users, but expanding to other parts of the organization with time .
- Responsible for leading design, optimization and implementation of frequently used queries.
- Establish a data engineering center of excellence within Cedar, ensuring that best practices are socialized and implemented across engineering.
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years experience in designing, building and maintaining data pipelines.
- Experience with Python, Django, SQLAlchemy and database scaling and optimization (preferably including experience with scalable cloud based data warehouses e.g. Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift)
- Ability to analyze data to identify deliverables, gaps and inconsistencies
- Ability in managing and communicating data warehouse plans to internal teams
- Demonstrates a passion for breaking down and understanding complex systems and data structures
- A team player with excellent communication and listening skills.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, comfort with ambiguity
- Excitement to build out a data engineering function and team within the organization.
- Excited about Cedar’s mission of improving the healthcare financial experience
- Encompass Cedar’s core values: mission driven, no mediocrity, use good judgement, positivity
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred
- Eligible to work in the United States
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- An opportunity to work on a platform that is scaling very rapidly with 225,000 engaged patients a day as of September 2020 (Up from 50,000 in January)
- A chance to join a high-growth company at an early stage
- The ability to impact the growth of our company, we value all comments and suggestions
- Transparency across teams and interaction with multiple departments
- Competitive pay, employer-paid healthcare, stock options
- Daily team lunch and unlimited healthy snacks at our NYC office
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Cedar will not hire any applicants for Lead Data Engineer who are present in the United States on an F-1 visa