Lead Security Engineer, Nifty Gateway at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
About Nifty Gateway
Nifty Gateway is the premiere, all-in-one platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and store digital art and collectibles, otherwise known as Nifties (or NFTs). Nifty Gateway was founded by Duncan and Griffin Cock Foster in 2018, and acquired by Gemini in 2019, with the belief that crypto networks and the blockchain have the power to fundamentally change the art world by creating greater choice, independence, and opportunity for artists, creators, and collectors.
The Department: Security
Security has always been the foundation of Gemini and protecting our customers is at the core of our mission to empower the individual through crypto; trust is our product.The Security Engineering team at Gemini develops and manages security tools and platforms, assists users to design and assess the security internal systems, builds automation to simplify manual or complex processes, and researches business related topics including smart contracts and applied cryptography. In addition, this role will also work closely with our Security Operations, Product Security, and SRE teams.
The Role: Lead Security Engineer for Nifty Gateway
Help us continue to grow this unique organization as our first security leader. In this role you’ll have the opportunity to design and execute a strategy required to secure the Nifty platform, protect our users, and enable our engineers to focus on building great products. You’ll also have the unique opportunity to grow as a leader, with close support from an experienced Gemini security team. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background, the foundational qualities of a great leader, and a passion for innovative solutions that are secure and usable. This role will report directly to Gemini’s NYC-based Chief Security Officer, and will work with the Nifty Gateway team in a matrixed fashion.
- Be the primary security expert for Nifty products and the central point of contact for the team.
- Design and review secure and scalable architecture to support security requirements of our engineers and an active and growing user base.
- Develop tools that make it easier to deploy secure code and harder to ship insecure code.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to educate and assist them in mitigating vulnerabilities applicable to Nifty Gateway’s platform.
- Research and monitor emerging threats, and help engineering teams understand and address relevant attacker tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- At least 10 years of experience in the security industry.
- Hands-on experience in multiple security disciplines such as application security, infrastructure security, and/or threat detection and response.
- Experience with building and customizing tools.
- Ability to accurately weigh security risks against business operations and goals.
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug issues, and demonstrate a methodical approach to root cause analysis.
- Experience with Python and AWS.
- Experience building and securing robust, scalable systems.
- Experience with the Django Web Framework.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.