Lead Software Engineer
LeafLink is the regulated cannabis industry's largest wholesale marketplace, providing licensed dispensaries the ability to order from their favorite brands, as well as a suite of software tools for those brands to manage and scale their operations.
With over 3,400 retailers and more than 1,200 brands across 22 territories in the US and Canada, we are setting the industry standard for how cannabis businesses grow together. LeafLink annually processes and manages more than $1 billion in wholesale cannabis orders - you can learn more about our history and path to $1B here http://firstbillion.leaflink.com/.
Our team, backed by funding from leading VC's, is poised to define the cannabis supply chain through technology. LeafLink was named one of Built In NYC's 'Best Places to Work in 2019', as well as one of Fast Company's 'Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Enterprise for 2018', joining the ranks of Amazon, Slack, and VMWare - and we're just getting started!
LeafLink is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to join our New York team who is passionate about working with teams that solve interesting, large-scale problems at a rapid pace. This role will contribute heavily to the buildout and iteration of LeafLink’s existing and emerging systems, powering an ever-expanding set of product offerings. As a member of our engineering team, you will be in a position to have a direct, lasting impact everywhere that technology powers our business.
LeafLink is currently gearing up to tackle a large-scale platform overhaul that will strengthen our position as a technical leader within the industry. As such, this role has the opportunity to help shape and grow this new platform, as well as work within new and growing technologies. It’s a very exciting time to join our engineering team!
Ideal candidates for this position should possess a keen mind for solving tough problems with the ideal solution, partnering effectively with various team members along the way. They should be personable, efficient, flexible and communicative, possess a strong desire to implement change, growth, and maturity, and have a passion and love for what they do. This role comes with the opportunity to be a high performer within a department that’s fast-paced, dynamic, and quickly growing in all areas.
- Design, build, and iterate on our various products, helping shape the roadmap through iterative development cycles
- Lead by example for other members of the team as a dedicated, passionate, and flexible technologist who is constantly looking for the ideal solution to a problem
- Set and drive the architectural design and development objectives for our emerging suite of tools based on a flexible product roadmap
- Review and develop architecture plans based on product-driven goals for both internal and external teams, ensuring our department’s core engineering values remain a priority
- Be seen as “the person” by team members - leading by example as a dedicated, flexible technologist who is always looking for the ideal, elegant solution to a problem while still making sure to partner effectively with other areas of the department and company
- Help make critical software design decisions that will have a lasting impact on LeafLink’s platform and products as well as leading and mentoring others to do the same
- Keep up to date on modern technologies and trends and advocate for their inclusion within products when it makes sense
- Analyze and evaluate existing solutions within the company and make decisions on whether to extend or refactor as needed
- Work collaboratively with multiple agile teams to help deliver end-to-end products and features, seeing them through from conception to delivery
- Be able to troubleshoot and diagnose issues quickly and effectively when they arise, bringing calm and rationality to tense situations and providing a clear path forward for team members across multiple areas of the department
- Provide technical leadership and help mentor engineering, QA, operations, and product staff to deliver the best possible solutions for the company
- Help define, document, evolve, and evangelize high engineering standards and best practices across multiple areas
- Move quickly and intelligently - seeing technical debt as your nemesis
- 5+ years working with and leading technical teams during complex projects and challenges
- Expert-level experience and track record of architecting large-scale decoupled, service-oriented systems
- Extensive experience working on high-traffic, international systems
- Experience working in and advocating for agile environments
- Expert-level experience working with APIs / in an API-driven environment (REST, RPC, GraphQL)
- Proven track record of practical, thoughtful problem solving
- Expert-level experience working with one or more of the following: Python, Node, Go
- Extensive experience building applications and underlying systems that work within fully containerized environments (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Extensive experience working with relational and non-relational data structures and stores
- Advanced experience working in an environment that sees test-driven development as a core value and a path towards ensuring stability
- Experience working within environments that rely heavily on automation, CI, and CD concepts to rapidly deliver, measure, and iterate on products and features
- Experience working within cloud-based environments like AWS and GCP - specifically related to networking, compute, database, cache, and storage services
- Experience working within a collaborative, pair programming-driven engineering environment
- An active member of the open source and New York tech community a plus
- Well-versed in version control systems (Git)
- An interest in the cannabis industry and / or the LeafLink brand
- Generous PTO
- Fun office environment
- Competitive salary
- Benefit Matching (medical, dental, vision)
- 401k Offered
- Stock options
- Team events