Lead Software Engineer at Great Jones
THE LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER ROLE
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will report to our CTO Todd O’Brien and own a subset of the product suite -- initially by contributing hands-on expertise, and soon through team-building and management as well.
We are out to build the leading full-service operating platform for lower-scale residential rental real estate: tens of millions of single-family homes and apartment buildings without on-site management, collectively worth trillions of dollars but underpenetrated by technology to date.
By combining technology and design with best-in-class operations & growth leadership, we will unlock the asset class from previous constraints posted by operational headaches.
Technology penetration is low here vs. other asset classes, which just means we have lots of greenfield technology to build!
Sample work could include:
- Building a Mint/Robinhood style app so owners can see and manage their rental properties in real-time from wherever they are with the power of real-time data, smart home automation, and predictive analytics at their fingertips
- Building an Uber-style interface so residents can request maintenance, rate their service experiences, pay their rent, or perform any other interaction or communication
- Building and optimizing systemized workflows for everything from leasing to leaky faucets to property optimization
- Discovering new and creative ways to comb through massive public data troves to source and close new potential customers
- Much, much more!
Thinking “technology first” is the key to pushing the frontier for customer experience, scalability (3-5x+ efficiency vs. competitors), and value creation in this multi-trillion dollar space. Let’s eliminate the pain of rental ownership and renting.
We have already become the fastest-growing consumer-focused property manager in our operating regions, running leaner while validating what we need to build for scale. Now, it is time to build the technology necessary to multiply our footprint while getting deeper and deeper in each market and building a memorable experience and brand among our owners and residents along the way.
In this position you will first roll up your sleeves, develop relationships within our product & engineering team and across the company, and begin architecting the foundation of various software components. Second, in short order, you will hire a talented team of engineers to join you in thoughtfully building out this suite of systems. Because we are so greenfield and nothing quite like this has ever been built before, you and your team will be working with the latest and greatest technologies including AWS-managed services, serverless components, GraphQL, and NLP!
Your team’s work -- delivering software that delights our customers and their tenants, automates and instruments a traditionally low-tech industry, and enables controlled and elegant scaling of the business -- will be an absolutely crucial part of that journey.
- Partner with CTO and technical leadership to meaningfully contribute to the technological strategic vision for the organization
- Recruit and lead a small team of talented software engineers for whom you will provide guidance, direction, and mentorship
- Develop new and existing full stack software systems to the highest technical, quality, and accountability standards, all while considering secondary concerns like security, performance, maintainability, adaptability, extensibility, and simplicity
- Work closely within a cross-functional team of designers, product managers, and analysts to develop high-quality technical solutions to customer and business problems
- Own one or more major technical components
- Partner with key stakeholders to define a technical roadmap, propose improvements, and architect solutions that support our business needs
- Engage in code reviews and help to define and maintain high standards of code quality
- Collaborate with other Technology team members and leaders to refine best practices and processes
- Use and promote successful software management and technical workflow practices that shorten feedback loops between the Tech team and others
- Stay current on leading edge technology to help the organization stay at the forefront of industry innovation
- Equipped with 5+ years of professional programming experience, ideally including time at a rapidly growing technology organization
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Go, Node.js, Ruby, or something similar)
- Has owned a system or large technical component for 2+ years that was critical to the success of a team or organization.
- Backed by a strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals, like data structures and algorithms
- Enjoy building new products from scratch, not just improving existing ones. You’ve thrived in similar situations in the past.
- Successful in an agile work environment, breaking down large pieces of work to deliver value incrementally
- Product sensibility; you have worked closely with product management and design and consider yourself a user-centric thinker
- Experience with AWS
- Knowledgeable about modern relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MySQL
- An entrepreneurial, product focused producer who loves to build innovative solutions in clever ways
- You are energized by bringing technology to an older-school industry starved for it. You aggressively push the boundaries of how to leverage cutting-edge technology to create a deeply differentiated experience
- You have delivered elegant, user-centric experiences amid high complexity perhaps for multiple user types
- A quick learner with a can-do attitude
- A friendly and open-minded communicator
- Eager to be involved in all stages of the product development lifecycle, from concept through deployment
- Self-starter mentality, yet a team player with a collaborative approach
- Attention to detail with good business judgment and exceptional professional maturity
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary and equity commensurate with experience and performance
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Well-stocked office in a fun Manhattan neighborhood
- Early-stage, well-funded opportunity with the ability to make your mark on a massive market