Linux Systems Engineer
NS1’s mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers and the world. We are the market leader in DNS and traffic management software and services, and our customers include the biggest properties and largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling and processes of today’s DevOps organizations, and deliver reliability and performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, and also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
We’re looking to add a new member to our small but fast growing engineering team: an experienced Linux Systems Engineer who can dive in to our extensively automated, globally distributed system, summoning their deep technical background to drive new innovation in the software and tools that run our cutting edge traffic management platform.
We’re looking for an autodidact who can immerse themselves in our platform immediately, leveraging existing technical strengths and teaching themselves the systems that are new to them. You should have broad knowledge of the technologies in modern infrastructure operations and automation and be able to offer constructive advice for improvements while using and scaling the systems in our existing platform. You’ll take responsibility for the quality of your code, and your daily work will have an immediate company-wide impact.
- Python and at least one of: Golang, C, C++
- Excellent UNIX and networking knowledge
- Strong Linux systems programming skills
- Knowledge of distributed systems
- Ability to design with modern internet infrastructure operation in mind, including metrics, logging, automation, etc
Nice to have:
- DNS protocol
- Layer 4-7 load balancing
- Containers, SDN and other tools in the modern DevOps toolkit
- Linux kernel tuning, user-space networking
NS1 Technology Stack:
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS software that’s deployed on physical hardware and an anycasted network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API, and Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF/IPTables, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, SQL
- Python (Twisted), Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3
- Hadoop/HDFS/OpenTSDB, Grafana, Bosun
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
Working @ NS1
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.