Manager, Web & Information Services
The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, the nonprofit organization that presents the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, is looking for a Manager, Web & Information Services.
The Manager, Web & Information Services, is a key member of the organization’s senior staff, overseeing the systems that are essential to the administration of the Awards. The successful candidate will be someone able to adapt to circumstance and who understands the complexity of juggling the needs of multiple departments throughout the year, many involving on-site technology management, but also occasional off-site tasks. The Manager will oversee the platform that administers the Scholastic Awards and artandwriting.org, which are accessed annually by hundreds of thousands of users, and that must run smoothly after updates and improvements. The Manager must show a willingness to adapt to changes in our annual processes and the leadership to plan ahead for each year with key programmatic goals.
The Manager, Web & Information Services will create technology that assists and encourages emerging artists and writers as they participate in the Scholastic Awards. Your work will be utilized by students, educators, our affiliate partners, and your colleagues who administer the awards. The ideal candidate will have be an adept project manager, effective communicator, and have a strong passion for technology, the arts, education, and supporting creative youth.
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Director. The position is based in the Alliance's offices located in downtown Manhattan, New York City.
In this position, the Manager be responsible for managing:
- All Alliance Database systems including developing, overseeing and maintaining
- Active User Portal
- Online archive
- SQL database archives
- Affiliate partner microsites and affiliate resource site
- The Alliance’s web presence
- Maintaining web and database servers
- Analytics for all web assets
- Monitoring Wordpress systems for all Alliance websites and blogs
- Data and statistics
- Running advanced queries from SQL servers
- Analyzing data, creating reports and presentations
- Developing new technology initiatives based on data analysis, and in collaboration with colleagues
- External teams, both remotely and in person
- Use RedMine/Github for AGILE workflow and testing with teammates
- Technical guidance to staff and regional affiliate partners
The successful candidate will have 5 years of professional experience, ideally with some experience in the nonprofit field.
Additional skills and qualifications needed for the role
- AGILE with Git (or similar)
- App testing experience
- Project management with third-party teams
- Server management/storage experience
- Tech team management (some remote)
- Physical computer setup and management
- Translation of tech-talk to English
- Tech-teaching skills
Required Tech Knowledge
- SQL (PostgreSQL, MSSQL, or similar)
- HTML, CSS
- All MS Office/365 Apps including PowerApps
- AGILE Workflow apps (Git/Github/RedMine, etc)
- Adobe InDesign/Acrobat
- API Management (backend and acquisition)
- Server system management
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming
- Though not required, additional technical knowledge that would be helpful for the role include PHP, C#, Google Analytics and SEO Tools, Crystal Reports, PayPal APIs, Unit testing, Mac Unix Console, Windows PowerShell, and Amazon Web Services (load balancing and storage).
About the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers
The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are presented by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. The Alliance is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to identify students with exceptional artistic and literary talent and present their remarkable work to the world through the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Awards give students opportunities for recognition, exhibition, publication, and scholarships. Students across America submitted nearly 320,000 original works this year in 29 different categories of art and writing.