Mechanical Engineering Manager
Mechanical Engineering Manager
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, the MakerBot Mechanical Engineering Manager oversees and contributes to the design, test, and manufacturing of hardware systems for MakerBot 3D printers.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage the Mechanical Engineering team
- Propose risk mitigation alternatives that seek balance of schedule/features/cost/quality
- Facilitate design making through use of sound engineering principles
- Propose staffing plans for projects, including schedules and responsibilities for activities
- Identify and remove blockers to team effectiveness
- Guide and coach the professional development of the team
- Design and layout mechanical components and systems
- Review mechanical parts and systems to uphold drafting standards and engineering best practices
- Mentor, delegate and review work assignments of junior and staff team members
- Create specifications for mechanical systems; validate and demonstrate adherence to those specifications
- Research and specify system level components like motors, bearings, materials, and fasteners
- Work closely with electrical, manufacturing, and software engineering teams to optimize the design at a system level
- Lead products through prototype, design validation, and manufacturing build cycles
- Develop documentation for other engineers, technicians, production, and customers
- Research and drive next generation technologies
- Participate in recruiting and retention
- Demonstrate proactive collaboration with adjacent development teams to ensure design success
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with engineering teams to work through complex technical challenges and drive innovation
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Masters Degree preferred
- 7+ years of proven design experience, with 2+ years of experience managing a team
- Technical ownership over a subsystem of a design or finished product
- Interaction with vendors (part suppliers and contract manufacturers)
- Fluency with SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD tools and FEA software
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing, tooling techniques/capabilities (CNC machining, sheet metal fabrication, Injection Molding, and die casting)
- Direct experience with plastics, die casting, sheet metal and machining suppliers
- Expertise with electrical test and measurement tools
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Excited to work in a fast-paced high-energy environment with the mechanical engineering team and other technical teams in Brooklyn, NY.
- Specific experience designing consumer products
- Experience with 3D printing
- People: We have some of the most talented, diverse, and collaborative teams in the world who love to push the boundaries of innovation.
- Products: We put 3D Printing on the map and gave the first 3D Printing keynote address at CES! We released all-new solutions for professionals and educators, including two new 3D printers, software, new filament, and more on September 22, 2016.
- Office Space: From the moment you step onto the 21st floor of our office in Downtown Brooklyn - the high energy and view of multiple bridges and the Statue of Liberty - will take your breath away!
- Perks: We have great benefits, fun social events, and of course all the free snacks and ping-pong tournaments that you would expect at any cool tech company.
MakerBot, a subsidiary of Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq: SSYS), is a global leader in the 3D printing industry. Founded in 2009 in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot strives to redefine the standards for reliability and ease-of-use. Through this dedication, MakerBot has one of the largest install bases in the industry and also runs Thingiverse, the largest 3D printing community in the world.
MakerBot's connected 3D printing solutions address the wider needs of professionals and educators, evolving their ideas from inspiration to innovation.
MakerBot is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, status with regard public assistance, veteran status, or membership in any other legally protected class.