Mobile Engineer - Android at Betterment
Betterment is hiring an Engineer for our Android team. Our team's mission is to create the most streamlined and intuitive mobile investing experience possible to allow our customers to make the most of their money. We partner with User Experience and Product Management teams to build features using native mobile technologies that enable our customers to meet their financial goals.About the right team member:
You are passionate about tackling complex product and technical problems. You believe that by leveraging technology you can empower others. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with cross-functional teams that span the entire company. You thrive under pressure — concurrent projects and tight deadlines sound fun to tackle! You love to learn and to share your expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, efficient workflows, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve challenging problems and change an industry while you do it.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away and see the impact you can have. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing.
- That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Work with people who care. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and fun.
- Experience building native Android applications
- Experience building product features, as well as frameworks that enable the efficient creation of robust customer experiences
- A passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- An appreciation for agility and thoughtful pragmatism in software development
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Java, and recently Kotlin, are our primary programming languages
- We build our APIs with Ruby on Rails
- We always choose the right tool or framework for the job; some of our favorites are Room, RxJava, Lottie, and Retrofit
- Reactive and functional patterns (we recently hosted the 2018 Functional Swift Conference)
- We strive to align our iOS and Android apps, an interest in Swift is a plus
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $20 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.