Optical Network Engineer at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is redefining and modernizing its network architecture. We are seeking an Optical Network Engineer to join our team! We are looking for the right candidate who can develop, support, and troubleshoot network infrastructure designs, focusing on optical network integration and segmentation. As members of DigITs organization, we work towards this shared mission by not only supporting our world-class physicians and scientists but also fundamentally rethinking how digital tools and experiences can transform cancer care for the better!
What you'll do:
- Be part of a network strategy and engineering team at MSK, and actively participate in the development of the Enterprise network design. Focusing on MSK’s backbone initiatives like optical connectivity and buildout, in addition to all the design elements that are required to further our digital transformation. These include dynamic fault tolerance, built-in security, and high-availability of the backbone, which spans multiple high-performance computing clusters, data centers and private/public/hybrid cloud architectures.
- Contribute to building and maintaining this backbone infrastructure, delivering our next-generation network across a broad range of technologies including switching, routing and transport, with a focus on dark fiber and ROADM-based DWDM systems
- Provide technical expertise for organizational projects and serve as an escalation point for managing the core optical backbone, including OTN commissioning, deployment and analysis
- Collaborate with existing teams (infosec, devsecops, instrumentation, enterprise support, etc...) to help advise and drive our backbone infrastructure design decisions and enable them to extend their capabilities, all while working closely to develop processes and provide efficient levels of visibility, monitoring and reporting
Who you are:
You are strong, confident communicator with project coordination skills who can lead and collaborate with other IT engineers and operation support individuals across various subject areas. You also are a phenomenal teammate that thrives off of collaborative efforts, continuous self-improvement, and enjoys learning from and sharing knowledge with others. You also have:
- A proven understanding of Optical Transmission Principles, including standard wavelengths, coherent optics, typical attenuation, optical budgets, anomalies, OTDR traces, etc
- Professional experience designing, implementing and supporting a ROADM-based DWDM optical network with Ciena photonics/optical equipment, including automation and orchestration; MCP experience required
- A strong networking (routing/switching/security) foundation, with an in-depth understanding of network protocols and applications; Arista experience preferred
- Flexibility to work after hours and weekends when required
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to complete a tech assessment and/or schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.