Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Who We Are
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) within Discovery is responsible for building the global streaming video platform that supports a broad collection of Discovery’s diverse brands around the world including Discovery, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
DTC’s many software engineering teams build applications for the web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS.
We are a fast-growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
What You'll Do
As a platform engineer in the Developer Automation group within DTC, you’ll be joining a team that is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC’s growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Your role will focus on the development of the platform core and common platform services. You’ll solve problems related to complex cloud-infrastructure automation, multi-region networking, cross-cluster service meshes, authentication/authorization, and the management of large-scale Kubernetes cluster deployments across many AWS accounts. You’ll architect platform APIs for other teams to build on top of, you’ll develop Kubernetes operators, you’ll design processes/workflows, and you’ll help to do it all in a collaborative, team environment using modern, rigorous software development practices that emphasize testability, repeatability, and self-service automation.
Who You Are
You thrive in an environment where your engineering team members live for delivering great software. You have experience running production infrastructure that supports multiple systems in a scalable, stable, and performant manner. You measure everything, make decisions based on data, are consumer-obsessed, and take immense pride in your work.
Your Technical Skills
The ideal candidate for this role will have a wide breadth of experience across the entire software stack, as well as deep expertise in at least one technology from each of the following groups:
- Containerization & Container Orchestration at Scale (i.e. Kubernetes)
- Container Networking & Distributed Service Meshes (e.g. Istio, Linkerd)
- Cloud Infrastructure Automation (AWS strongly preferred) (e.g. CDK, Crossplane)
- Linux System Administration
- Distributed Systems Development (e.g. asynchronous communication patterns, consensus algorithms, distributed transactions)
- Services Programming (e.g. Go-lang, Java, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Ruby)
- Systems Programming (e.g. C, C++, Rust)
In addition, your technical expertise should match well to the following:
- Deep understanding of distributed systems in Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience with at least one IaC tool (e.g. CDK, Terraform, Crossplane)
- Experience with the development and operation of high throughput, low-latency systems
- Hands-on experience with automating development workflow pipelines (CI/CD)
- Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
- Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and time zones
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
- Strong CS fundamentals
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.