Principal Data Engineer (Java focused) at HUMAN
At HUMAN we are all about keeping it human. We are the global leader in bot mitigation. We protect more than 200 enterprises—including the largest internet platforms—from sophisticated bots by verifying the humanity of nearly one trillion online interactions every week. The most sophisticated bots look and act like humans when they click on ads, visit websites, fill out forms, take over accounts, and commit payment fraud. We stop them.
Founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore, our Bot Mitigation Platform protects enterprises from the sophisticated bots that threaten them. It’s an ongoing war that we fight passionately every day. Join our mission to stop bots, disrupt the economics of cybercrime, and keep it human.
The Data Engineering team is responsible for the primary organs and arteries of our system. The team’s mission is to consistently deliver an extraordinary data platform that enables our security researchers, threat intel analysts, and data scientists to quickly and optimally detect malicious non-human activity. You will tackle a wide range of problems from finding more efficient ways to research sophisticated botnets to delivering only the most critical and impactful insights to our customers as fast as possible, so they can take action.What you will do:
- Architect, Design, Build, Test, Deploy and Maintain reliable, scalable systems and applications to process our current and expected future loads
- Empower our partners to automate and improve their day to day data requirements (finance, marketing, sales, product management, etc.) using frameworks and libraries
- Partner closely with internal teams to understand how they work and uncover new ways to improve and amplify their analysis including our ops teams to debug and resolve critical issues.
- Lead and manage the ingestion and usability of a Snowflake data warehouse that ingests and processes high volume, near real-time data
- Participate in an on-call support rotation for critical production applications
- Work with a team of uniquely hardworking engineers who love to learn, experiment, and push the limits of technology
- Use DevOps Practices and Principles to build and bring to bear CI/CD pipelines
- You have considerable experience in designing and architecting highly scalable and resilient big data ecosystems using large data sets (order of 100 billion interactions and multiple petabytes) successfully and hands-on experience developing them
- You have demonstrated the ability to design performant processes that support near real-time data transformation, data structures, metadata, data quality frameworks, dependency, and workflow management leveraging relational, NoSQL, and other big data technologies (Snowflake experience is preferred)
- You have expertise in developing software in Java, Java Framework, and Spring understanding both the theoretical concepts of the language as well as how to write well-documented well-tested code
- You excel in automating the development and deployment of distributed software to cloud environments like AWS, Azure, or GCP (which likely also means you know some combination of Kubernetes, Docker, and/or Terraform)
- You have experience in efficiently analyzing and extracting key insights from large (terabytes/petabytes) datasets
- You have the knowledge to research, propose, develop and deploy new technologies and have ability to clearly articulate the pros and cons of various technologies and platforms and to document use cases, solutions, and recommendations
- Desire to coach and mentor other team members and are key in setting up standards, principles, and best practices in design, architecture, coding, testing, and deployment
- You possess skills and exhibit behaviors that nurture and drive us towards technology modernization and strong NFRs involving scalable design and integration patterns
Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited PTO
- Private medical and dental insurance for all full-time employees
- Fully paid parental leave
- Learning & Development fund
- Phenomenal coaching from senior leaders and challenging development opportunities
- Monthly internet, phone bill, and meal stipend to support working remotely during COVID-19
- Company-sponsored TalkSpace membership for you and your family
Our HQ office is located in the heart of New York City. We are growing the company deliberately with a keen eye towards maintaining values that embody diversity, lifestyle, and career growth. We are doing substantial work, and we need people to join our mighty team. We are proud of our overwhelmingly positive presence on Glassdoor and Built in NYC. We have offices located in NYC, DC, Victoria, and London.
We understand it takes a diverse team of passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in protecting the Internet. Our dynamic team of humans have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.