About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
We are looking for a Principal Engineer who relishes responsibility and has the interpersonal and engineering skills to collaborate, evangelize, and put state-of-the-art research into practice. As a Principal Engineer on our Checkout Platform team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the platform of services responsible for taking and managing orders and the interactions between them. You’ll be focused on the resiliency, scale, latency, and throughput required to help Grubhub continue to meet demand. They also need to be evangelists and collaborators. Our Checkout systems are a mix of high scale and data integration. As such, our products require collaboration between engineers, decision scientists, data analysts, a proven operations team, and a product team that’s thinking end-to-end.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Provide input to shape the charter and structure of the checkout platform
- Help lead Grubhub’s continued expansion into all aspects of our business including corporate, enterprise, campus, and in-store by further scaling our systems and teams
- Help improve and mature the ‘crown jewel’ checkout systems of Grubhub.
- Help extend the effectiveness of the current team through coaching and mentoring
- Build highly-scalable, world-class algorithms that solve difficult optimization, and validation problems. Understand how to translate research into working software.
- Work with product and operations leaders to understand the needs of our business and our customers and provide solutions for those needs.
- Design extensible software architectures that allow GrubHub to be agile and react to changes quickly.
- Design reliable software and processes that allow GrubHub to offer a high-quality experience. Deal with edge cases gracefully and put processes in place to ensure we do everything we can to provide a great experience for each customer.
- Contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies, and pioneer within your team and the organization.
- Work with our SRE team to improve Operational Excellence
You Should Have
- Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field and 10+ years experience building highly-scalable applications (eCommerce preferred)
- Proven ability to devise, build and release complex technical systems
- Direct experience with marketplaces, high throughput application, and/or event-driven architectures
- Collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations including product, operations, finance, and care
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage trade offs, and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
- Experience with real-time platforms
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Java, C#, C++, Go, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault-tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with non-blocking, multi-threaded applications, event sourcing, or multi-region applications will be a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. Grubhub employees are provided a generous amount of time to recharge their batteries.
- Health and Wellness. We provide programs that support your overall well-being such as generous medical benefits, employee network groups, company-wide fitness challenges, and a comfortable and casual workplace! We also support our parents by offering 8 weeks of paid parent bonding time, a 4-week returnship program, and 6-8 weeks paid medical leave.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- Social Impact. We believe in the importance of serving the communities that support our business. In addition, employees are given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.