Principal Engineer, Growth Tech at WeWork Technology
About the Role
If you’re passionate about building large scale systems, and you are motivated to make an impact in building a robust and scalable platform used by multiple teams, come join us. You will help shape the vision and architecture of WeWork next generation system architecture, making it easy for developers in various teams to build products and features. You are responsible for developing a reliable architecture that scales with the company’s incredible growth. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging distributed systems problems.
This role will partner with product and data leadership team and play an integral role in strategic decision-making. The right candidate will possess excellent technical and communication skills. The ideal person for this role is inquisitive, authentic, optimistic, and transparent. The role is based in our New York headquarters.
About the Mission
The mission of Growth Technology is to deliver technology that powers the growth of our core businesses, by providing the right products to the right people at the right price at the right time. It includes how we build products out of SKUs, sellable inventory, and memberships, at a dynamically optimized price. Growth Technology covers the entire journey of a member, from their first interaction with our website or a salesperson, all the way through providing the right account visibility and flexibility so they stay a member for life and grow with us.
- Architect and design high-performance, fault-tolerant, secure, and scalable systems in production.
- Drive complex cross-team initiatives.
- Lead and review technical design and systems architecture across product area’s services and applications.
- Drive architecture strategy, including coding standards, tools, and frameworks to make mission (and cross-mission) engineering more efficient.
- Partner with product management to lead technical requirements capturing discussions with customers.
- Partner with senior leadership to improve engineering process, technical standards, hiring practices, and other efforts to raise the quality bar for WeWork Technology
- Drive excellence in engineering and quality practices.
- Think through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Effectively empower others through delegation. Model and insist on empathy, collaboration, and positive relationships within and between multiple teams
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or relevant experience, master degree preferred)
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with data scaling and operations.
- Experience driving technical excellence and engineering practices across teams.
- Strong ability to level up existing engineering talents and set high standards for new engineering talents.
- Experience designing and developing platform level, reusable components, including event architectures, messaging, and caching (JMS, ActiveMQ, Kinesis, Apache Kafka, etc).
- Strong foundation in algorithms, data structures, and their real-world use cases.
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms).
- Strong system-level design, architecture and troubleshooting skills
- Familiar with modern data technologies. Experience in stream processing or Machine Learning technologies a plus.
- Proven experience writing scalable, high-performance, observable and clean code.
- Demonstrated experience developing web services using Java/Ruby/Go.
- Demonstrated experience with relational databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment.
WeWork Technology is bridging the gap between physical and digital platforms, providing a delightful, flawless & powerful experience for members and employees. We build software and hardware that enables our members to connect with each other and the space around them like never before. We augment our community and culture teams through the tools we build. We believe there’s a macro shift toward a new way of working—one focused on a movement towards meaning and purpose.
WeWork Technology is proud to be shaping this movement. We are a team of passionate, fearless and collaborative problem-solvers distributed globally with one goal in mind - to humanize technology across the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.