The Squarespace platform empowers millions of people - from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic business - to share their stories and create an impactful, stylish, and easy-to-manage online presence. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join the team who is as excited as we are to help build the platform that empowers the future generation of creators to be successful online.
We firmly believe that design is not a luxury - we coalesce hundreds of details into a package that is simple and beautiful, strive for excellence and iterate relentlessly in order to achieve that ideal. In our engineering organization, this translates to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll focus on the most ambiguous, difficult, and cross-cutting problems faced by the organization, and taking a 3-to-5 year plan and translating it into a technology roadmap. You would work very closely with other staff & principal engineers and report to the Chief Architect in our New York City headquarters.
- Be the architect for a major area of our business
- Focus on the architectural & technology needs to grow the business over the longer-term horizon
- Drive best practices for engineering excellence and technical leadership
- Influence design reviews, question assumptions, point out pitfalls and foster shared understanding
- Support technical due diligence for the company’s M&A pursuits
- Significant experience building large-scale software and distributed systems
- Strong understanding of, and experience with, web & mobile application development
- Experience using multiple programming languages and a broad range of tools
- Ability to create effective designs to solve complex problems and lead teams to implement them
- Effective communication skills with ability to give impactful feedback to colleagues
- Hands-on approach and pragmatic attitude in turning ideas into working software
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.