The Squarespace platform empowers millions of people - from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic business - to share their stories and create an impactful, stylish, and easy-to-manage online presence. We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join the team who is as excited as we are to help build the platform that empowers the future generation of creators to be successful online.
We firmly believe that design is not a luxury - we coalesce hundreds of details into a package that is simple and beautiful, strive for excellence and iterate relentlessly in order to achieve that ideal. In our engineering organization, this translates to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll focus on the most ambiguous, difficult, and cross-cutting problems faced by the organization, and taking a 3-to-5 year plan and translating it into a technology roadmap. You would work very closely with other staff & principal engineers and report to the Chief Architect in our New York City headquarters.
- Be the architect for a major area of our business
- Focus on the architectural & technology needs to grow the business over the longer-term horizon
- Drive best practices for engineering excellence and technical leadership
- Influence design reviews, question assumptions, point out pitfalls and foster shared understanding
- Support technical due diligence for the company’s M&A pursuits
- Significant experience building large-scale software and distributed systems
- Strong understanding of, and experience with, web & mobile application development
- Experience using multiple programming languages and a broad range of tools
- Ability to create effective designs to solve complex problems and lead teams to implement them
- Effective communication skills with ability to give impactful feedback to colleagues
- Hands-on approach and pragmatic attitude in turning ideas into working software
Squarespace empowers people with creative ideas to succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 18 weeks of parental leave
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Squarespace sends engineers to speak at and attend the most relevant and impactful conferences throughout the year
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Gender Affirmation Surgery
- Education reimbursement
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.