Namely is seeking a Principal Engineer to join our growing team. As a Principal Engineer, you will set the standard for engineering excellence, architecture and design, will be responsible for shaping our technical roadmap, and directly influence our product and company strategy.
Whether you’re looking to focus on front-end or back-end, or enjoy working across all levels of the software stack, you’ll have an opportunity to be hands-on as part of our agile development team. Our teams use a diverse set of tools and languages such as C#, Go, Ruby, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker, and Kafka. We work with React and SPA’s in the front-end, and are investing in an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
- Migrating from a monolith to a microservice architecture, including a complete overhaul and rewrite of our Payroll Processing and Benefits Configuration
- Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our Human Capital Management (HCM) services
- Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, working to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive and give hands-on mentorship, and have opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization.
- Own key areas within our platform by envisioning, designing, creating, building and supporting. This infrastructure needs to operate with a high degree of operational excellence.
- Support our developers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate developers' needs, knowledge-transfer sessions and generally evangelize the platform.
- Be responsible for software architecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major components.
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team.
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation.
- Perform code reviews and have your code reviewed by peers.
- Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies.
- Be responsible for mentoring a highly skilled set of software engineers at all levels.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made.
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault tolerant SaaS or consumer applications.
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience.
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture.
- Extensive experience with service oriented architectures, design patterns, web services, and web applications development.
- Deep understanding of system performance trade-offs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.
- Extensive experience with database design, queueing, caching, containers, APIs, security and the operational aspects of running large systems.
- Excellent planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling.
- Excited by building reliable, self-healing services with robust error handling.
- Extensive experience designing, building and owning large scale distributed systems.
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops.
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. You’ll need to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Tech Talks and Blogs by Namely Labs Engineers:
- HTTP and JSON for your gRPC services
- Growing up with AWS
- Using .NET Core in Production
- Following an Internal Open Source model of Software Development
- Namely Labs Blog
Namely is the first HR, payroll, and benefits platform employees actually love to use. People are at the center of everything we do—from our platform to our staff. Why join us? We believe every company and every employee deserves a great workplace, supported by HR technology they use and love. Most importantly, we believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.