Principal Mechanical Engineer
How you'll contribute:
- Architect detailed design of plastic and metal components around electromechanical systems for consumer electronics products.
- Work with MEs, EEs, Designers, Manufacturing, and Product team members to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products.
- Perform thermal, fluid, and structural analysis of individual components and sub systems to achieve performance goals and drive system architecture.
- Make detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of all parts and assemblies. Define materials, processes, components and systems for the product.
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product.
- Perform tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation.
- Work with vendors and manufacturing teams to develop new manufacturing processes, develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures.
- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and equipment to qualify the mechanical design and product assembly for mass production.
- Travel internationally to support bring-up and qualification of mass production. (20%).
- 7+ years of product design experience, with expert knowledge of engineered plastics (forming, bonding, and material properties), sheet metal forming, and electro-mechanical systems for thermal transfer (pumps, heat exchangers, fans.
- Has hands-on experience using advanced simulation modules (FEA, CFD, mold flow, etc) within 3D CAD systems
- Comfortable mocking up electromechanical features using Arduino or similar prototyping methods.
- Has knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes.
- Experienced with DFM and DFA design techniques, tolerance stack-up analysis, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
- Possesses a solid understanding of root cause analysis, DOE, GD&T, and other quality measuring techniques.
- You hold an advanced degree in mechanical engineering
- You have launched several products to market, including products with multiple complex subsystems
- You were the principal mechanical engineer of at least one product from concept to launch.
Why you'll love Eight Sleep:
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team that’s working to improve people’s lives by improving the way they sleep
- Leadership is committed to employees’ wellness and career development
- You’ll get a better night sleep every night; all full-time employees receive the Pod
- Flexible, generous PTO
- 100% employer contribution for medical/dental/vision insurance
- Discounted gym memberships, commuter benefits
- Weekly team happy hours and lunches
- Office snacks