Principal Rails Engineer
The Principal Rails Engineer will be a technical lead for our Ruby on Rails applications, spanning multiple teams and products. In this role, you will help to bootstrap and set foundations for new initiatives; lead efforts to standardize best-practices in Ruby and Rails through training, pairing, and code reviews; facilitate a consistent approach to testing, implementing, and building; and vet, contribute to, or create open source projects used in our stack.
Fast-forward one year. Here’s what you will have accomplished:
- Identified opportunities in our Rails apps for a consistent approach to similar problems
- Mentored developers less familiar with Rails through pairing and “lunch and learn” presentations
- Hosted internal office hours where any Rails developers can bring questions or challenges
- Led “mob-pairings” where you work through a larger tech project with several other engineers, in 2-3 hour chunks (for example: a Rails upgrade)
- Became a go-to resource for technical questions, both because you quickly provide answers and because you’re just so delightful to speak with.
- Defined the technology roadmap for our Rails applications
- Jumped into product team sprints for short bursts to help unblock new or existing projects
- 8+ years of experience working with Ruby and Rails
- Experience contributing to and maintaining open source projects, or frequently-updated shared projects within an organization
- A solid understanding of Rails best practices, patterns, and tools
- Experience leading and/or mentoring other developers