Principal Security Research Engineer, Gemini Security at Gemini
Help Us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Security
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust (which is why Gemini’s very first hires were Security experts). The Gemini Security team forms the backbone of all that we do and is as diverse as the number of challenges we tackle in the crypto space. From security architecture and engineering to maintenance of cold storage systems and data centers to cybersecurity and litigation support, our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Principal Security Research Engineer, Gemini Labs
As a principal security research engineer at Gemini, you will be responsible not only for identifying and pursuing high impact research projects in the Crypto security space, but also for supporting strategic projects across Gemini to help foster innovation organization wide.
The continued development of Gemini’s security research program is seen as critical and as a principal researcher you will be involved in the Lab’s direction, and will be instrumental in defining how Gemini Labs can best support the needs of Gemini’s business as well as the Crypto and Security communities more widely.
- Lead a diverse set of technical research projects collaborating with people from across the organization;
- Drive the ideation, scoping and prioritization of research projects;
- Collaborate with the security and engineering teams to solve complex problems, such as applied cryptography, blockchain technologies, advanced authentication mechanism, cloud security, and vulnerability research;
- Publicly share the results of research via blogs, open source tools, and presentations at leading industry conferences; and
- Mentorship of team members and colleagues from across Gemini.
- At least 8 years of experience in engineering security solutions;
- Experience in conducting and leading research within the field of security;
- Have security experience across a wide range of domains, including web and mobile applications, cloud environments, Linux, applied cryptography, secrets management, authentication and access controls within an organization, authn/authz, hardware security (HSM, tpm, secure boot), and formal verification;
- Published security research and shared research at respected industry conferences;
- Strong presentation and technical writing skills;
- Experience in developing and leading research projects from problem statement and hypothesis, through research and delivery.
- Experience with Scala, Python, or Solidity
- Rapid prototyping experience to be able to embody ideas in code
- Published and presented security research at one or more top tier conferences
- Experience securing mobile applications and infrastructure
- Experience with leading security architecture projects and making strategic security design decisions
- Experience with Open Source Software releases
- Experience with multiple Cloud technologies in production environments
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.