Principal Site Reliability Engineer at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 22.6 million diners food ordering experience and we feature over 300,000 restaurants in 3,200 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
More about the Job:
As a Principal Site Reliability Engineer you will be focused on driving large scale reliability focused initiatives which touch all aspects of our system. This role will focus on complex challenges within our Logistics Team which manages how we ingest and store complex menu data at scale, how we ensure visibility into our complex order processing pipeline, how to bring systems from 4x9s to 5x9s and much more. This role will be a member of SRE and Engineering leadership and will help craft the direction for new technology introduction, own stability initiatives in complex spaces and act as an expert and mentor.
Some projects this role may work on are designing a rate-limiting system for expensive operations, helping re-architect systems that are rapidly growing such as components of our loyalty platform and designing a system for real-time analysis of large operational datasets.
We are looking for an engineer who has worked in (or understands) the embedded SRE model, has strong software engineering skills and deep knowledge on how distributed systems operate. You’ll be part software engineer, part architect, part mentor and all around expert in our architecture.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Designing a rate-limiting system for expensive operations
- Re-architect systems that are rapidly growing and changing
- Building a system to ensure we have end to end observability across multiple distinct platforms in a single pane of glass
- Finding weak points in our systems and coming up with solutions on how to solve them
- Always be thinking about new and different ways to solve complex challenges
- We operate a system with hundreds of distinct services which communicate both synchronously using RPC (via Envoy) and asynchronously via message buses
- Critical services are mainly Java (using either Guice or Spring) with many SRE owned services written in Python
- We use Cassandra as our primary database and are heavy Elastic users. Our data is hyperlocal and a challenge to model, store, and cache
- Our systems span multiple Amazon regions; all critical systems are always hot/hot across data centers
You Should Have
- Experience working in an embedded SRE model
- 7+ years experience as a Software Engineer. You should understand object oriented concepts, data structures and time/space complexity
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable applications
- Experience as a Principal, Architect or similar level engineer
- Experience with leading projects in system design, architecture changes, and technology selection
- How we build services fast: A look at the Grubhub service framework
- Cloud Infrastructure at Grubhub
- Traffic Routing and Control
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.