Principal Software Engineer, Backend at Moda Operandi
Team Lead will provide technical and architectural leadership for an engineering squad. This position will conceptualize, design, build and deploy new and innovative products and services at Moda. The team lead will work alongside product and design teams to unify the Moda brand, cultivate the customer experience and consolidate our operational systems. The team lead will have a lot of autonomy and be able to influence technical direction and work on new and existing projects. This role includes hands-on coding, mentoring developers, influencing product vision, and designing system architecture.
Your primary responsibilities would include but are not limited to:
- Act as a technical voice. Assume technical responsibility for a family of systems - build new services and functionality, manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with system engineers to increase the scale of our production systems
- Lead team in defining technical requirements and solutions and drive projects through to completion.
- Work with product, tech, and business leaders to determine the roadmap and deliverable
- Able to work within a geographically distributed team of developers comprised of a combination of employees and contractors with both an onshore and offshore component.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, software development lifecycle best practices, and new technologies.
- Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Grow as a technical leader, mentor junior engineers, and teach industry-wide best practices.
- Actively participate in all phases of the SDLC including analysis, design, development, testing and implementation
- 7+ years hands-on software development experience
- Experience in web development for both desktop and mobile platforms
- Strong understanding of web performance, scalability, and implementation constraints
- Handson experience with Scala and/or Java is preferred. Prior experience with Ruby is a plus
- Knowledge and experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks such as: Play, ScalaJS, AngularJS, ReactJS.
- Expertise working with AWS suite of services such as - ECS, Lambda, Cloudwatch, Batch, Kinesis etc
- Experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL or other RDBMS systems
- A commitment to fully-encapsulated teams that own all parts of the software development lifecycle, from dev to test to prod, and utilizing best-practice techniques around code review, CI/CD, automation, and infrastructure-as-code
- An Agile way of working and prioritization
- A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open source products
- A high sense of ownership, showing a desire and ability to motivate teams and guide them through their career development
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organization (code reviews, testing, lighting talks, etc)
- Eagerness to collaborate across both Tech and Moda as a whole
- Excitement to drive culture internally, and promote that culture externally
- The ability to learn anything you don't already know to get the job done
You’ll Get To:
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent.
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Break existing monolithic applications into micro service architectures and build new microservices
- Adroitly prioritize tech-debt pay-down projects as well as larger strategic initiatives
- Act as a key member of our technology leadership team helping to define and influence architecture, development, release, and infrastructure decisions
- Establish KPIs that help measure application stability and performance, quality of overall software solutions and engineering team productivity
- Help drive adoption and best-practice usage of Agile practices
- Serve as key partner to our Product Management team, advising on technical implementations, removing impediments and ensuring software engineering team productivity
- Hold our software engineering team accountable for execution of best practices; overall solution quality and performance; and management of technical debt
- Help build the Moda Tech brand and culture, both internally and externally