Principal Software Engineer - Extensibility at Procore Technologies
What if you could use your technology skills to develop a product that impacts the way communities’ hospitals, homes, sports stadiums, and schools across the world are built? Construction impacts the lives of nearly everyone in the world, and yet it’s also one of the world’s least digitized industries, not to mention one of the most dangerous. That’s why we’re looking for a talented Principal Backend Engineer to join Procore’s journey to revolutionize a historically underserved industry.
As a Principal Backend Engineer on our Extensibility and Experience team, you’ll enable our customers to dynamically customize and extend the Procore Platform to fit each of their projects’ unique needs. You’ll drive immediate and long-term strategic direction for major parts of the technology stack by identifying critical areas based on future growth and collaborating with Product, QA, UX, and other groups to develop roadmaps and tackle initiatives. If you’re a strong leader with proven experience evaluating industry best-of-class technical approaches—we have a spot for you on our team.
Backed by the might of our teams, you’ll be provided with the tools and resources needed to achieve extraordinary results that render a significant impact extending beyond the boundaries of traditional engineering roles.
This position will report into the Director, Engineering and has the opportunity to be located in any of our US offices. Remote candidates will be considered based on experience. We’re looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Continuously drive the evolution of one of the best API’s in construction by collaboratively iterating the API Architecture and Specification with feedback from customers and developers
- Architect and design an API gateway that serves hundreds of millions of requests per day to web, mobile, and 3rd party applications
- Contribute to both core initiatives at Procore as well as independent innovative technical projects
- Use a collaborative approach to lead architectural design decisions that improve scalability and performance
- Develop teammates by conducting code reviews, providing mentorship, pairing, and training opportunities
- Serve as a subject matter expert in a domain, including tools, processes, and procedures that help guide others to create and maintain a healthy codebase
- Drive key projects including:
- Scalability: We’re scaling Ruby on Rails and need engineers who are ready to take on the challenge of working on live, core systems with millions of users
- Complex data management systems: We’re building a world-class document and photo file management system from the ground up. You’ll work through challenges like pdf creation, photo management, large file manipulations, permissions and file revisioning, 3D models, and videos
- Microservices: We build, maintain, and develop a wide series of microservices and are looking for engineers adept at discovering new opportunities and driving them to completion
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years experience in Object Oriented Program fundamentals, Test Driven Development and Design principles (Ruby on Rails, Python, C++, Java)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, a related field, or comparable work experience
- Track record of anticipating technical problems that will fall out of major projects and designing solutions to overcome those problems
- Demonstrated expertise with building and/or significantly improving large, business-critical systems involving stability, performance, and scalability
- Experience in working and developing RESTful APIs, GraphQL is a plus
- Time-honed expertise with modern web development across the entire spectrum of development, testing, staging, deploying, and monitoring
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, housing complexes, and more. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore!
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, flexible paid time off (Procore Values Time), employee enrichment and development programs, and volunteer days.