Principal Software Engineer, Settings Platform at Dataminr
--COVID-19 Hiring Update--
As the health and safety of our candidates and our employees come first, we're excited to provide virtual experiences for interviews and new hire on-boarding.
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Join our team and help the world manage risk in real time. You’ll work with 600+ talented people across seven offices, united by our passion to collaborate, make a difference, and have fun while doing it!
Minimum Experience: 8 years
Job Type: Full-time
Who you are:
You're an experience Principal Engineer that will sit on the Settings Platform team. Responsibilities include making key technical decisions while working on the technical vision and strategy with the engineering manager.
You will work with the engineering manager to create the technical vision for the team that would align with the strategy and goals of the company. At the same time, this role is responsible to work with the other engineers on the team to elevate them technically and mentor them in their career path, you will play a critical role to pair and mentor other engineers on the hardest problems of the team.
The principal engineer plays an important role in the design of our services to make sure we deliver with speed and great quality. Researching, always improving and bringing the top standards to the team is a must.
We are looking for someone who has a very strong background and a passion for Software Engineering best practices. Someone who is passionate about pairing with other engineers and values team work over individual output. This individual has to have experience working with microservices at scale, event driven architecture and designing complex distributed systems.
Having experience and expertise in Kafka, REST API’s and designing reliable services is a must.
What you've done before:
- Contribute code to production systems from the get-go.
- Spend time with different parts of the company to understand how Dataminr works and how our services interact with each other.
- Lead the design and architecture of our critical services.
- Be influential in helping plan the next iterations of our architecture as we strive to get more alerts to our clients faster and with near-perfect reliability.
- Lead important cross-team initiatives and mentor other engineers.
- Constantly improve our team’s practices.
- Take the initiative to create tech roadmaps for the team.
- Work with the engineering manager to create goals and career paths for other engineers.
- Take ownership of, and improve our product delivery practices.
- Critically evaluate our services and architecture designs and plan for improvements, refactorings and redesigns if needed.
- Be a representative of our team, outside of the team to share knowledge, bring in best practices and champion our practices.
- Value reliability and quality as a first priority and have a Test First mentality
What success looks like in this role:
- At least 8 years of experience as a Software Engineer
- Strong background in Java, 3 to 5 years
- Experience with complex data systems, data intensive applications and complex data stores
- Experience with distributed streaming services and familiarity with Kafka. Deep knowledge on Kafka is a huge plus.
- Experience designing and implementing REST API’s
- Strong background in AWS services
- Experience in extreme programming practices
- Experience leading projects from ground-up
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.#LI-MM1#LI-Remote