How does this position help VTS succeed?
- Influence the direction of the foundation group, ensuring we continue to solve the most important challenges to VTS’ infrastructure
- Lead the way by staying up to date with tools, trends, technologies and best practices, and then sharing that knowledge in a meaningful way to advance the overall state of technology for the entire organization
- You will own key areas within our platform by envisioning, designing, creating, building and supporting key components of the VTS infrastructure, which needs to operate with a high degree of operational excellence
- Support and mentor our senior and staff engineers by being the go-to-person for questions but never be a bottleneck, see around the corner and anticipate engineers' needs, broadly distribute knowledge, and generally evangelize the platform
- Be responsible for software architecture including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodology, and development of major components
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards and best practices for the team
- Create technical requirements, software design specifications and other forms of architectural documentation
- Investigate and resolve application issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders to ensure that the most informed decisions are being made
- Play a critical role in planning, working closely with senior leaders to develop plans, resource requirements, and influence our long-term technical and business strategy
What makes you a great fit?
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with more than one area of deep knowledge and experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale, high availability and fault-tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture
- Extensive experience with web applications development, web services, and distributed systems
- Deep understanding of system performance trade-offs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability.
- Extensive experience with database design, queueing, caching, containers, APIs, security and the operational aspects of running large systems
- Excellent planning/execution skills including estimating and schedulingExtensive experience designing, building and owning large scale distributed systems
- Capable of driving and delivering thin slices of end-to-end functionality on a regular cadence with data-driven feedback loops
- Strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive and willing to take ownership and deal with ambiguity
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong customer empathy and a focus on quality
- Ability to create consensus among passionate stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced environment through excellent verbal and written communication skills
More about our team
- We have a 70+ person engineering team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA, grouped in outcome-oriented “houses”
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work
- We deploy daily and rely heavily on automated testing and CI
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products
- We work with technologies like Ruby on Rails, React, Heroku, Postgres, AWS, Swift, Android, Python, and Kafka
- Learn more on our engineering blogLearn more on our engineering blog
What VTS values & how we show it
- Strive for Excellence - We know your potential is unlimited. Take advantage of our executive coaches and our training and career development programs available to all employees!
- Be Customer Obsessed - We’re employee obsessed too! VTS offers competitive compensation, comprehensive health benefits (including dental and vision), pre-tax commuter benefits, and a 401(k) plan. Not to mention the fun stuff - monthly happy hours, wellness events, clubs, and team lunches!
- Be Curious - Benefit from a culture that promotes new learning. VTS offers an education stipend to all employees!
- Move as One - We work in an open floor plan to promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Take Ownership - Be an owner of the company you’re building with our equity packages.
- Appreciate the Difference - VTS embraces and celebrates diversity. We understand the importance of a strong work-life balance. We offer a flexible PTO policy, generous family leave program, and more!